Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a novise spey-caster I have a question:

I`m thinking of getting me some of the new RIO Scandinavian shooting heads. These are the same length and weight in different sink-rates. Am I going terrible wrong if I purchase:

a floater in 9/10 that I leave uncut
an intermediate in 10/11 that I cut to match the weight of the above floater
a sink3 in 11/12 that I also cut to match the weight of the floater

This way It`ll be easier to get the sinkers up of the water while they are still able to load the rod properly?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I understand your thinking.I know nothing about those heads but I use that same principle,sort of,with my sink tips on my RIO lies.I prefer to use a shorter heavier sink tip such as 10ft instead of 15 ft.I insert a intermediate 5 ft in to help it get down but that is easier to lift than if I used 15ft of heavy sink.On my spey line I also use about one size up with a shorter head.sort of same idea but for other reasons,obviously ,since it is floater.Beau

·
Registered
121 Posts
A Novice Reply

Harald; your thread is so similiar to an issue on my mind that I'm following you. Beau's reply makes sense to me because it sounds like he's created a tip system fairly easy to use. I may lack the dicipline and/or organization that most posess on this site, but I started with a fair number of manufacturer's multi-tip lines. Over time I have managed to comingle tips of varying wieghts and densities. If that is not frustrating enough, there are now intermediate tips and cheaters to stir into the pot. I'm seeking some standardization. An example of that would be using T-14 sink tip material exclusively and vary only it's length, ( no compensators, cheaters, intermediates, slime-lines,type III, VI or VIII ). I'm probably frustrated with how much I do not know, but the passion seems complex enough without having a vest full of line pieces. I'm curious to know what sink-tip systems others prefer.

Regards,

Garry

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Gary...

Your time would be well spent to search through the archives reading the posts of Riveraddict and what he has to say about making sinktips. Sometimes you have to search the info out a little bit but you will also learn a lot of other great steelheading info as a bonus.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Garry, if you want to vary your sink tip I suggest you add and subtract a section of floating or intermediate cheater egual to amount added or subtracted from tip to keep your complete line wght at the correct load for your rod.I.E.,if was was going to use a 5 ft sink tip I would add 10ft of line between it and my head.at 15ft I would attach it to my head directly.etc.Beau

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thank You

MJC said:
Your time would be well spent to search through the archives reading the posts of Riveraddict and what he has to say about making sinktips. Sometimes you have to search the info out a little bit but you will also learn a lot of other great steelheading info as a bonus.
I'm techno challenged and still do not know what "the archives" are, but I have found Riveraddict's posts and have also found some of the wisdom you refered me to. It appears the critical element is enough, ( perhaps appropriate ), weight to drive the tips you intend to use. The patience of those who have been there is appreciated.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Gary...

Finding and reading Ed's posts is what I was referring to. He and a great many other very talented two handed fishers frequent this place and much can be learned by reading their old posts.
The archives are at the bottom of the page and contain all of the posts that have been made from the beginning of the International Spey Clave, Dana's original spey casting forum. There is a huge amount of two handed info contained there and it is all there at no more cost then the time it takes to read it all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
peter-s-c said:
Harald

By the sound of it you're not using sinktips but rather fullsinkers, correct? If so, you're general reasoning about making shorter sinking heads the same weight as the floater in order to get them out of the water easier, makes sense. Rio publishes a guide with the lines sold here that suggests how much to cut to achieve the weight you're after. I assume they would also have a guide with the ones sold "over the pond."

I'm not sure if the heads you're purchasing sound the same as the Rio ones we use here. I'm also curious as to why you selected these rather than one of the many others you have available to you.
You`re right Peter. I`m thinking of fullsinkers. The guides is one of the reasons I think I`m going for RIO. They should make it easy to find the right weight. Also from what I have read here and on other boards these shooting-heads seem to be good both for casting and fishing. Finally they are quite cheap. I can get them from the US for a way better price than any of the other shooting tapers available here in Norway.

You`ve gotten me convinced I`m not to wrong so I`m going for the solution I outlined in the first post.

Thanks to you, Peter and the rest who took the time to reply to my post!

Harald, Norway

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Seems to me living in Norway Guidelines should be readily accessible. IMHO, they are far superior to Rio's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jamey McLeod said:
Seems to me living in Norway Guidelines should be readily accessible. IMHO, they are far superior to Rio's.
Lot of people told me so so I`ve ordered Guideline shooting tapers in float/sink1 and sink2/sink3 from wittlock, Sweden at a very good price. I also got me a Guideline LPXe 9/10 at a good price...

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
peter-s-c said:
Harald,

On second thought, I'd buy the correct rating for your rod in the floater and intermediate, going only one rating up for the rest of the sinkers, reducing their length by 3' to 4'. How long is your rod? I ask as 44' in the floater may prove to be both a bit long and a bit heavy in the Rio heads.
My rod (got it on saturday) is an LPXe 14` 9/10. I bought two Guideline PT`s, one float/sink1 and one sink2/sink3 shooting tapers in 9/10,. Hopefully the rod will be able to lift both of them in the full length. I hear it`s a good rod so it might?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello again Peter and thanks for all your help!

Yes, I know of the perfection loop. It`s a long time until the next salmon season so I have lots of time to get the equipment perfectly tuned and also quite important-get my casting working :roll: . I`ve got a Midspey line I plan on using for training so I can wait with the shooting head cutting until my casting is somewhat closer to what it will be next year...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Rio Heads

Some clarifications as far as I understand it...:

The Rio Shooting Heads sold in Norway are named "Norwegian Shooting Head", not "Scandinavian", as they are not the same... The Norwegian SH profile creates a nice, smooth head with really good presentations. Their taper has an even body with not as much weight in the back of the head as a Guideline Powertaper, and a longer front taper. I like their floater and also their greenish Sink type 1 very well, not so well the clear so called intermediate (I my opinion it is not a real intermediate as it sinks too much, but the type 1 is among the best I lines on the markets as many I lines these days sink far too fast). Also the F/S1 is a nice line. Pricewise, the Rio heads comes out very good compared to Guidelines and Loop/LTS heads which are more expensive. I am here referring to Norwegian prices.

Someone from RIO in here who can clarify the thoughts and profiles of the two types of heads??? No one I know thinks the socalled Scandinavian Head is representative for how Scandinavians want their spey shooting heads, however the Norwegian heads are just that...

BTW many new heads are in the market this year, I especially want to mention the Guideline Powertaper RM Spey, a head that has a far better presentation than the conventional Powertaper. As far as I know this line has only been available in Norway this year - you in other countries should really ask for it!

Kind regards, Oystein Aas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts