Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, nature was against us this year! There was little to no snow melt on the mountain tops the last 2 weeks and our once a year steelhead trip in Alaska found super low stream flows and not a single fish to be seen. We spoke to everyone beforehand, even considered having a local pilot do some recon but the truth is you never know until you put your own eyes on it for yourself. On top of that, the one half gallon of Vodka, labelled "Kamchatka" was so fowl tasting we had one drink and then poured the rest out! Tasted like stale shoe leather! If you zoom in on the 1st photo and look at the snow, those are some large brown bear tracks that came up onto the deck checking for food. Zoom in more and look at the door knob handle! Guess what the dents are from in the door knob! There is actually a trap door and ladder to a loft if any uninvited intruders get aggressive.

So, the balance of the week we ventured as best we could and slept in freezing temps each night in our cabin. Good thing was the days were picture perfect and our boats performed flawlessly. So, now the wait goes on for fall silvers and once again looking forward to next spring and, fingers crossed, more favorable conditions.
Plant Snow Wood Tree House
Window Wood Floor Flooring Luggage and bags
Smile Plant Tree Sunglasses Snow
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Plant

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow!! Wyo_ati, are you saying you drank this Kamchatka by choice??!!?? Maybe I shouldn't talk, I did some beyond idiot things years including drinking grain alcohol and I'm still here to talk about. Fortuntely. But that was the fowlest tasting liquid that was hardly worth the buzz I can remembrer drinking ever. Yes, I did have a single flask of Lagavulen 16 for stream-side celebration that sipped nicely in the pinch. Plus, really did not want to wake up at 3am with a headache with 30 degree temps. Better planning next time!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Bummer, but glad you made the best of it,, that’s all you could do. Cool looking cabin btw, and although I couldn’t zoom into the door handle, the size of those tracks were impressive.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a closeup, unfortunately out of focus, of the cabin door. Tooth marks are quite deep. All cabin doors swing out so bears are not able to simply push in. Worrying thing is the "windows" are nothing more than 1/4" plexiglass!
Handle Wood Door Fixture Door handle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts