Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually fish this kind of fly but will need some variation when they don't want the bigger flash flies.
wormy apple.jpg

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you
ive never had a steelhead take a fly like this.
ive only caught brown trout & smallmouth bass on wet flies.

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the last couple of you guys say "little morsel" & "low & clear water" makes me think you think this is a small fly.
I this is a very large hook maybe 3/0.

thanks to everybody who like this fly.

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
officer steve converse once told me when we were discussing giant streamers for trophy browns that hook size is up to the officer your talking to because plug pullers using flat fish for salmon exceed the hook size limit. he said as long someone is fishing correctly & not attempting to snag hook size really shouldn't matter.

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I didn't have to package of these hooks but had 2 left.
so I measured the gap it was 9/16"
that is a little over the legal limit here in Michigan.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I donot fish anything over size 2 for trout, salmon, steelhead and barbless to stay within the half inch gap single hook ruLe. For all other species such as bass will go higher. Wish they would put the barbless rule in place on michigan trout, salmon, steelhead rivers.
Best
DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
deepswing be happy they are finally cracking down on the snaggers this year.
most of Michigan fisherman are catch n kill guys which is fine they bought a license too.
we wouldn't have fish or fishing spots without their license money too.
I don't think no barb will ever be a consideration to our dnr.
heck they allow plastic beads in the flies only section of the P.M.

·
Registered
254 Posts
"heck they allow plastic beads in the flies only section of the P.M."
Well I heard they are not legal in the flys only, but could not find anything in the dnr rules on this nor anything posted on the PM river signage. I did hook the below in a snag in December in that section, so some one is using them. First time I have noticed this in that section. It is a small caddis nymph on the point. Need more rule communication and enforcement. Keep tying and posting some flys, may get me motivated to tie more. After 35 years of tying I have too many now. ;)
Best
DS

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
deepswing there was 200 tickets thrown out of court for using beads in the P.M. flies only section last fall.
I heard this directly from officer steve converse.
he said there maybe new rule changes for that area about it where the bead has to be right on the hook & the hook has to be dressed.
the bead is the "new" snagging lure around the state as far as im concerned.
a lot of people fish it way to far away from the hook then keep illegally hooked fish.
it clearly states fish need to be hooked inside the mouth in Michigan.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That is good to hear, I did not fish the pm this fall, did in December when I found the bead rig. Rules need to be changed and posted at the major access sites, maybe that will help some. Here is the 2014 regs maybe the 2015 will have further clarifications on this. I heard about the bead issue on the MS sportsmen forumns last year. A dnr officer commented that the beads were illegal. In the current general definitions they fall under artificial lures.

http://www.eregulations.com/michigan/fishing/common-terms/

Been fishing the river since 1980. Those were the good old days. ;) as they say

Best

DS

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hate the PM due to its micro management.
the bead is an Alaskan center pin lure designed to hook fish outside the mouth.
so lure not fly. outside the mouth illegal in Michigan.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts