Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know what got to it. A 12lb Skagit fish made my reel spinning freely, and leave massy line in the reel.

I think some of you have this kind of experience that when disk drag reel gets wet, it has a great chance to spin without drag even drag is set. Anyone what causes the problem at the first place?

Any better drag system out there than the disk drag system?

Thanks
Simon Hsieh

·
Registered
147 Posts
Better not to rely on the drag at all regardless of the quality of the system. set the drag only as tight as needed to keep it from over running then apply the needed drag by palming or otherwise controlling the spool
My point is that relying on the drag is a mistake. I have a bauer M-5 an awsome drag system but when the cork isn't properly lubed it will freespool when wet. a great reel just take soem maintenence, something which i abhore I want all reels to be like my hardy's use them hard, put them away wet never grease them for 15 years ans still have them function flawlessly.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Brand ?

Lamson had some plroblems initially with the pad on their reels. Mine was a #3 and went "free willy" when a Deswchutes fished grabbed the fly after the reel had gotten wet. I took it back to the manufacturer and they changed the pads for a big improvement. I have not had that plroblem with a Pate, two Abels, or two Bauers.

roballen2 - you may be keeping the drag too lose so water gets into the cork, with a little neetsfoot every year and a "little" pressure on the pad , that does not happen, at least it hasn't to me yet.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have used Scientific Angler system II reels for over 20 years and have never had a problem. I often neglect to do any maintanence on the reels but they just keep on trucking.

Ian

·
Registered
267 Posts
Drags

I have never experienced a problem like this? I have land Carp, Salmon, Steelhead, Pike and Muskies with a number of different reels. Mostly Ross, J-ryall, and Teton. Not once have I ever seen a drag on these reels malfunction? Now I have had the drag set incorrectly and broken off fish etc but never seen a drag that was set suddenly free spool? Sounds like a major malfunctin to me?:eyecrazy:

J

·
0 Posts
It's called hydroplaning and it's been discussed here before. Ted has the right idea. Rather than setting the drag only as tight as what prevents overrun, set it a little heavier and most of the time water cannot get onto the drag surface. Keep the drag lubed, depending upon what the drag material is (follow the manufacturer's recommendation), and about the only water that can get access to the drag surface is that which comes from condensation. That can be eliminated before you ever start fishing by tugging on the line and having the drag give line before your first cast. I truly believe that people who set almost no drag on their drag reels would be better off with a gear and pawl model. You can drench most of those and have no problems at all.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the disk drag problem

I have two Baurer reals, M4 and M7. M4 is fine to me in light applications but M7. When it is wet, Even striping line out will cause free spin, not to mention when I have fish on. Manufacture suggests to apply a layer of oil to the cork before I head out. It works fine but also it is a good way to pollute the rivers I love. Now while I am steelheading, I set a little drag as possible. So it won't cause free spin on my annual skagit trip.;)

Simon Hsieh

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Pollution no problem

Simon - I have the M7 and have had no problems even when the reel gets a little wet. Just a drop of neatsfoot oil on the cork, once a year is enough then just enough pressure to prevent overrun and a "little" more is enough. Then you should not get any water on the cork when the reel gets damp. Try it and see if it doesn't work. Too little plressure and water can get in and cause slip.

A drop of neatsfoot oil on the cork is not going to put any appreciable amount in the river if the reel gets dunked. The point of the oil is to keep the cork pliable and water out.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I been there fishing for silvers, not fun the first time after that it adds an extra element of surprize. I'll agree with the above set the drag to reduce over run nothing more.

andre

Sorry you didn't touch the fish, but the landing isn't the "reel" challenge, it's moving the fish to the fly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No drag at all...

hi all,
Nobody here using the Loop trad's? I got the dryfly, 2w and 3w.
Just set them to not overrun and everything is ok. Never giving me any troubles what so ever. :smokin:

Jon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts