Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from the opening week on the Gaula. Quick update:

Water temp ranged between 3.5 and 7 deg C.
Water height ranged between 1m20cm and 2m.
Fish (in general) we all below Gaulfossen and not running through the gorge in the low temps and highish water.
We never saw nor touched a salmon but the lower beats were doing well. Biggest on the fly so far is 17kilos.

There is still a lot of snow on the mountains so the prospects are good as the season progresses.

I'm glad I'm going back on week 29. This could be a good season.

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Hi storlaks,

Considering your comment about not seeing a salmon, I take that you were fishing above the Gaulfossen. I am going to the Hage beats on first week of July ( the ones that Fishmaster Finland leases). They have fished also heavily from the beginning of the season, but only one contact with a fresh fish so far, and that was lost! On which beat are you fishing at?

The news so far from the lower beats suggest, that there will be a lot of big fish this year. I personally would not complain about that. Hopefully also mellomlaks, athough the grilse were missing last year, so either they come this year, or the year class was poor, and the two sea-year fish will be absent this year. Only time will tell... :confused:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi lohi, I fish some beats around Rognes and upstream of Kotsoy. It's managed by Arne Flagestad. (GFF) Great pools, but simply too early this year at the start of the season. I personally think that all beats above Gaulfossen will have a tough time over the next couple of weeks because of the high cold water. Hopefully by July things should have warmed up a bit and these beats should be fishing well.

It's good to hear that there are plenty of big fish about....the average on the Gaulfossen pool itself is 10kilo, so I hope it continues.

By the way, where are the Hage beats? I've heard of them, but not sure of the location.

JV

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Yes, I think that the average for the whole river is that 10 kilos at the moment, as the big fish arrive first. I have my fingers crossed back to the elbows that the water warms up soon... and hopefully before the July. The Hage beats we fish are just below Stören, below the lower bridge of Stören, and one beat also few kilometers downstream from there. If you google Fishmaster Finland, you will find more info about those beats. There should also be a map of them. I am sure that the Rognes will be good in mid July! Tight Lines!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lohi, I've seen the webpage before but didn't know where the beat was. Now I do. You should be ok for start of July....I think! It was 8 years ago since the river has experienced these conditions. Finger crossed though!

I go back mid-July and this is usually primetime for the beats around Rognes.

Keep me posted on how you do.

Tightlines...

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gaula, week 29

Storlaks,

Looking forward to meet you in week 29 on the Gaula.
We will fish the same beat. Fished week 31 last year for the first time - with nice fish despite low water.
The buyout of nettinrights in the fjord should result in more salmon in the river. We´ll see.
Can´t wait to go back.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Week 29 is always a good week. hopefully this year will be no exception. I do hope, with most of the nets off, that more big fish are present throughtout the season. Everytime I went to the "smokery" close to Storen they had many big fish lying on their table which had been taken in the nets.

Anyway, looking forward to testing my New Guideline Le Cie with the new long Power tapers.

See you there!!!!

JV

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fished GFF from wednesday until yesterday. One fish taken at Støren on Saturday, otherwise nothing reported above Gaulfossen. Drove back this morning and the river was up quite a bit from yesterday (probably 5 - 600 m3/s). Warmer weather predicted for the rest of the week so the rest of the snow may melt in the coming days.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hello?

Whitch of the moddels of the Le Cic rods have you bought? I have tried the 13,7´, 14,8´ #10-11 med fast and 15,9´ .... and they were all very good rods. Very similar tp the G.loomis stinger, but whit a minimum less power!

storlaks said:
Week 29 is always a good week. hopefully this year will be no exception. I do hope, with most of the nets off, that more big fish are present throughtout the season. Everytime I went to the "smokery" close to Storen they had many big fish lying on their table which had been taken in the nets.

Anyway, looking forward to testing my New Guideline Le Cie with the new long Power tapers.

See you there!!!!

JV

·
Registered
99 Posts
Gaula from June 5-June 10

Just been back from a frustrating week on the Gaule. Water was between 180 m3/s and 460 m3/s and between 3,5 and 5 C. All the fishing was concentrated below Gaulfossen and even there it was very tough. Few fish where caught, some on flies but more on worms and lures. Will take an other week or two before the fishing will become stable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gaula and Stjordal

Hi,

I will be fishing the Gaula (public beats near Voldoien Gaard) and the Stjordal (SJFF beats) between 19-29 June. I fish in Scotland and will bring my 15 ft B&W Norway with mid-Spey/tips, a Michael Evans fast sinker and a selection of temple dogs.

It is my first time in Norway and I'd sincerely appreciate any advice for fishing around these beats at this time of year.

Regards,

Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stjordal would be no problem and your rod/line combination should be perfect.

Gaula could be more difficult above Gaulfossen. Gaula is now above 500 m3/s and since the warm weather is predicted to last for some days the river will continue to be to high for fish passage through Gaulfossen. But on the other hand you could be there when the first groups of large fish starts to arrive when the river drops down again and the water temperature rises.

Knut

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jacob, sorry for the delay in my response, but just back from another tough weeks fishing on the River Lochy in Scotland. Is Salmon fishing ever easy?????

I got the Le Cie 15ft 9" rod for a 10/11. IMO it's an excellent rod. I have a 15ft Loomis GLX (the older model) but I prefer the Le Cie. I find it very powerful indeed. Might save my money and get the 14ft 8" rod next!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
If You have a change to cast You should try these babies aswell :whoa:

13´7" 8/9 this rod is the best seatrout rod ever I have casted.

13´7" 9/10 MF little bit more power (actually lot ) also nice rod for salmon/steelhead fishing, needs little bit more timing than 8/9 rod. Pretty fast rod.

14´8" 9/10 Medium fast, really wonderful rod to cast, one of the easiest Guideline rod to cast...sweet rod :smokin: Doesnt matter if You use upper arm or lower arm in casting, suits very well whit long lines also!!!

Thanks,

Toni

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Toni, if it helps to catch a 40+lber then I'll try them (-: What a great fish!!!

I hope there are still a few in the Gaula in week 29.

·
Registered
20 Posts
:roll: ....sure it will, ;)
Thanks, I bet fishing will be great when the water temp gets round 12 and water level goes bit down. This year is good for big fish, what i have heard?
Thight Lines man!!

Toni

·
Registered
328 Posts
Toni

Congratulations for your nice Orklasalmon. Do you know Allan Bloch, Danish Guideline? Its a friend of mine.

The new Guideline Le Cie is almost as god as the Loomis Stinger GLX.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks.
Yes I know Allan pretty well...fished whit him in Mörrum. Nice dude, really nice. Good fisherman also.

What you mean ALMOST :hihi: , just kidding.

Toni

1 - 20 of 57 Posts