Spey Pages banner

Northwest Spey Casting Open

6K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  locvetter 
#1 ·
Well this is my goal for a new Northwest spey casting comp. it will happen the first weekend of April, so the 5-6. The comp will be in Tygh Valley, Or. It will have ladies, seniors, and open 15 foot divisions. An 18 foot off the platform division. A 15 foot over head division, and a fishing rod division featuring rods no longer than 13.5 feet and heads no longer than 55. If anyone has more input or questions feel free to email me at speycaster@hotmail.com

Travis Johnson

#10 ·
Why the fishing rod division not allowing belly's over 55' and rods only up to 13.5'? There are a lot of us who fish mid-belly lines on 13' and 13.5' rods, and mid-belly and long-belly lines on 14' and 15' lighter line (i.e. 6wt to 8 wt) rods when fishing in summer/fall. We also use 15'-18' rods for 10wt-12wt lines in winter/early spring and 15' and 16' 6-9' wt rods for early summer/late fall fishing. And these are our standard fishing rods.

Why not allow the use of lines with any belly length, but limit the rods to not longer than 13.5' for the fishing category? And possibly add in a light line (i.e. 6-8 wt line) category for 14'-16' rods?

Using 13.5' and lines with bellies of 55' or under is a very arbitrary definition of "fishing class" rods.

#11 ·
I am trying to get more people into the comp casting. I was not trying to offend by that definition. Working in a fly shop gives me good in sight to what people in the Spey fishing community are using and rods 13.5 and shorter are the most common not to say they are the only sold or use. Same goes for the lines. I use longer lines and rods commonly but I would like to see more people compete, and with this they masses would not have to by a bunch of new gear.

Travis

#13 ·
If you get a lot of interest i would say limit competitors to one rod class. otherwise the competition will take too long.

one competition i think might be interesting is one where you take a rod reel and line off the shelf and everyone competes with the same set up.

#14 ·
+1

Agree with Rob's comment. Went to one 'open' many years back and it was a disaster. Enjoyed the trip in the motor home and my house guests .... even if one dinner was for 22 people.

Amazing what you can do in a small kitchen, the 'why' was my MH guests were the Carron Casting Crew from the UK/Ireland. 32 footer was packed with people sipping Single Malts and hungry as hell.

'Ms. Gweneth' asked 'What do you have to feed these people?' The two of us got damned inventive, but feed we did. 'Jimmie-Jack' just sat there in amazement as the two of us went at it.

#15 ·
Thanks for all the advice. As for the good and feeding people, there is a commercial kitchen and indoor and outdoor eating areas. There will be as many as 3 casting areas and again the two days are invade of mass participation. I want a lot of people to show. I am ordering food for at least 200.

Travis

#18 ·
Sounds like a great event. I especially like the addition of the 13' rod competition. It takes a huge effort to put an event of this magnitude together so a huge kudos goes out to you Travis for having the drive and energy to make this happen.

#19 ·
+1 to Brian's comment.

Amazing what it takes to put on this type of event. Did several 'Charity Spey 'Claves back in the day and the coordination/planning/food prep took a heck of a lot of fore-thought. The first one you learn all the things that had 'never crossed your mind.':eek:

fae

#21 ·
Three Ring Circus

Nothing wrong with that concept in my mind. Those whose interest lean more towrds one event, concentrate on that ring. At days end, the results are announced, and the glasses raised to a good time had by all. Bring it on. Now to do a MapQuest on Tygh Valley. :)

#26 ·
Lodging in Maupin, Oregon

As far as I know, the town of Tygh (pronounced "ty") Valley has no lodging. There may be camping spots and rv spots at Pine Hollow reservoir. I will find out, and add that information here later.

A good option is: stay in Maupin. It is on the famous Deschutes River, and it is only ten miles away. It has lodging, an excellent grocery store with an in-store deli, a gas station, multiple restaurants, two excellent year-round full-service fly shops with guide services, and other amenities. There is a decent pub in the famous Rainbow Tavern.

The town of Maupin (Oregon) has two nice motels (the Imperial River Co. Motel, and the Deschutes motel) and several other B&B type lodging options.

Breakfast options: Henry's restaurant is in Maupin by the bridge that crosses the Deschutes. The other bkfast place I like is Molly B's restaurant in "downtown" Tygh Valley. Both open at 7 a.m. Good breakfast and good folks.

Maupin is located on the Deschutes River, 40 miles south of The Dalles, Oregon, or 90 miles northwest of Bend. Maupin city park has 30 very nice rv hookup camping spots by the river. There are heated showers there.

Maupin is one of Oregon's flyfishing and rafting meccas. From November thru February it is a quiet little town of 500 where community life revolves around its two churches and its schools. The basketball teams and wheat farms and cattle ranches of southern Wasco County dominate town life and town talk during those months. But from March thru October, the flyfishing and river rafting seasons are the main activity. In May, the salmon fly hatch is legendary. There is a river road that provides 25 miles of access to flyfishing from the east bank of the river.

Deschutes Motel (nice, clean, fisherman friendly, affordable - I have stayed there several times)

The Imperial River Co. (nice lodging on the river, has a good bar and restaurant)

I will add more lodging info soon.

#27 ·
Is this event still on?

Have seen nothing in not quite a month. Any new details? Saturday/Sunday or just one day?
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.