Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any fishing north of Newport on the Oregon coast (SRC, steelhead, ?) the last week of July or the first week in August.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes

Most of the creeks/rivers north of Newport have SRC's, as for steelhead your best bet is the Siletz or the Wilson. The Wilson is a significant drive north from Newport. :D
Mike

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Zip current info on northern oregon but ..

hit steelheader.net. The have a board section which deal just with Oregon fishing. Several posts on northern Oregon rivers, the Sandy in particular. Another good place to check is Mark Backman's 'flyfishusa' site (a sponc. here). Site is updated frequently with info on the Sandy and Deschutes.

Mark/Patty have a weekly 'e-news letter' that's usually a very good read .. with a bit of advertising tossed in. :hihi:

Vis a vis the North Umqua and the Rogue both rivers are really in high gear for salmon at this point. Don't have numbers on the NU, but the Rogue already has well OVER 30,000 spring kings in the top 30 miles of river. Summer steelhead are at about the 3,000 mark.

Looking over the total fish counts for the Rogue (as noted before the only counter is just north of Medford so the numbers only reflect the top 30 miles of river - no numbers for the Applegate, Illinois, etc., and etc) and the summer run count alone for 2001 (16,114), 2002 (29,296) and 2003 (20,297) suggests very healthy runs.

What makes it all the more fun is the fall kings and coho seasons overlap with the summer runs ... which tossed in almost an additional 50,000 (not a mis-print!) fish in a season that covers about 5 months of the year.

Yes, even a 'blind pig' can catch fish down here ... which makes me wonder why I still get 'skunked' on occation.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a blind pig

but I hope to get down to fish the river with you before too long. This will be year 32 teaching chemistry at the same college, about time for a change that will provide a greater chance to fish.

·
Registered
506 Posts
N Oregon

Rich

If you can sneak inland there are allot of fish in the Santiam right now. Probably pretty much a early morning bite with the heat now.

Skilly

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well, very good JC and University 'down here.'

t_richerzhagen said:
but I hope to get down to fish the river with you before too long. This will be year 32 teaching chemistry at the same college, about time for a change that will provide a greater chance to fish.
Rogue Valley Community College in Medford and Grants Pass or Southern Oregon University here in Ashland. From the two main JC locations it's as little as 5 - 15 minutes drive to the Rogue.

Could be a lot worse!! :lildevl:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts