Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm another newbie diving into the realm of fly fishing. I was lucky to find this site via Google. Nice place you have here. :)

I'm taking a 2 week trip to my grandfather's place in Oregon next month. He lives in Stanfield, in the northeastern part of the state. Are there any Oregon natives here that could help me find a few spots to begin my adventures in fly fishing? I'm a Southern California resident, and usually go visit my grandfather annually with my family to fish some lakes for trout. That's all been done on spinners or trolling flies, up until now. ;)

My cousin lives in La Grande, pretty close to the Grande Ronde river. I hear the Grande Ronde is a great river to fish. Just curious to find a few places to fish between Stanfield and La Grande.

Fredevans.... can you help me out? I see you live in Oregon and would greatly appreciate the help. I really want to make this trip a productive one. :D

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Darren, these waters are 350'ish miles from

where I'm at here in Medford (just over the Calif. boarder on I-5). However, call Mark Backman at his shop in Welch's Oregon. He probably has pet names for most of the rocks. Mark's a board sponc. and wonderful guy to work with/fountain if "real time" information.

If he's not up on the area he will know exactly whom you can contact. His store number is 800 266 3971
fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
So much water ... so little time. :>)

Darren Evans said:
Where can I stop in Medford to fish on my way in/out during my trip? ;)
Official winter steelhead count is now over (no kidding) 20,000 fish as of early April. Sooo, where, etc., Couple of questions: first is how much time have you got? An hour, a day, etc.

Call me at work at 541 734 2714 or on my cell at 541 944 0404 and I'll cover the ground. Evening # is 541 482 6386
Fred

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fred, I will try and give you a call later today. We'll only be able to stop for maybe a couple of hours as we pass through Medford.

I also need to talk to you about fishing in central Oregon. WE had a change in plans for where we will start fishing. After we pick up my grandfather in Stanfield, we'll be heading back down towards the Bend area. Paulina and East lakes are now on the list. I like lake fishing and all there is to it.... but I want to catch a few fish on streams and rivers. I need to know some areas to look at.

Also, can you post here a list of flies that I should have in my aresenal? I want to make this trip a successful one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I'll be out of the office a chunk of the day so

hit me on my cell phone at 541 944 0404.

On Descutes/central Oregon flys your top guys for this kind of info is "Flybob" aka Bob Larsell ([email protected]) or Mack Backmann at his shop in Welchs, Oregon. Two main questions they'll need to know is will you be fishing moving or still water, and when.

Fred

Easy fishing runs just north of downtown Medford, or a bit farther north in the Grants Pass area. But we can cover all that on the phone.
fae

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fred, Nice of you....

That's a real nice gesture. And I feel you will do your best.

But for someone to ask you to comply and give your "best effort" for a couple of hours.....hell, that's not even enough time to relax and enjoy the scenery.

IMHO, fishing is a God-given sport, to be THOROUGHLY enjoyed - whether you catch fish or not. Learn the water, get "in synch" with the river, land, and nature, and just HAVE FUN! Enjoy your companion(s), and your surroundings.

Or maybe, just maybe, I am getting too old.....

BobK

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Bob, you make a good point.

2 hours in the middle of a long trip is a 'mental health' break. Also with a last name like that ... how could I say 'no?' Just kidding. Actually, I've supplied a considerable number of folks who were traveling through/to the area with river maps.

Only having a couple of hours really limits the 'where' to a few places, but it gets a 'tired guy' off the freeway for what's normally a well needed rest. Heard a 'blurb' on the radio a bit back to the effect that after 10 hours of driving the 'attention span' of the average driver was equal to that of someone legally drunk.

From personal experience I've found that about 3-4 hours of driving is about all I can take without a long walk about at a rest stop.

fae

And, Naaaa ... you 'tain't too old.
:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts