Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am heading up to split a short week on the North Umpqua and Rogue in mid-late March. I have fished the Rogue a lot as a teenager and made a few trips back the past few years. The North Umpqua though is new to me. The searching I've done on these pages explains a lot about the dangerous wading and deceptive optics of that river, while giving a few suggestions. Great info.

Though trying to figure out some main spots to focus on during my time up there has been difficult. I read an excerpt from John Shewey's journal on the river and he basically says there are a ton or turns out and then the trail that follows the river. Oh and too look for the cleat marks on the rocks to know where to cast from. Looking at google maps has shown that a ton of turn outs is a severe understatement. My dilemma is that there are too many to choose from and I only have about two and half days set aside for each river.

Obviously I'm not asking for secret spots or an exact fly, but some general knowledge or tips would be super helpful and appreciated. I would get a guide, but the funds are just allowing me to make this a "Do it yourself" kind of trip. Shewey's book has also been great, but not sure if it's pertaining to both summer and winter steelhead.

Anyways I would appreciate any info and again I don't want the top secret spots, as it wouldn't be fair to those that took the time to find them. Some tips though would be great! :)

Thanks -Bob

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Not sure abut the NU that late in the Season.

My guess is go as high up the river as you can; fish at that point are going to be looking for spawning streams.

Somewhat 'ditto' for the upper Rogue, but fish will still be moving in. Also far less likely you're going to run into crummy weather. Again, stick to the very top, closer to the Hatchery the better. As the upper Rogue flows are controlled by the Wm. Jess Dam, even with a weather blow out, the water right below the dam/hatchery (about .5 miles worth) will still be 'gin clear.'

fae

·
JD
3,609 Posts
High vs. Low My $0.02 fwiw:

100% of the fish will, at one time or another, swim through the lower pools. An unknown percentage of those those fish will turn off at some tributary higher up in the system, at which point they are protected. At the very top of the system, only a small percentage of the fish, mostly dumb hatchery brats, are left to be caught.

An Alaska guide one advised, "if the fish are moving, stay put and wait for them to come to you. If the fish are not moving, then keep moving until you find the fish" Now there are those who subscribe to the "follow (or find) the fish" school, and those who subscribe to the "wait for the fish to come you you" school. Along the same line you'll hear, "they all came through here a couple weeks ago and are now higher up in the system" All, of course, are generalizations. It is up to the individual to decode the information at hand. :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hire a guide for a day on the NU

There are good guides on the NU that would drive you around and show you the holes on the NU. The next day just go back to the ones that you fished before. I highly recommend this approach since steelhead tend to hold in predictable lies on the river, and a good guide will point out where those are on the holes that you are fishing. You could be given GPS coordinates to a few good holes on the NU and still miss out for not knowing where the fish hold.

Mark

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I agree with Mark about the guide. I started fishing the NU this summer and thankfully the first time a guy from this board showed me around, it's like nothing ice ever seen before up there and the fish are weird. In my experience they sit in odd places that you wouldn't normally expect, and two weeks later there is still a fish in that same spot so get someone to show you those spots... Keep in mind my experience is only on summer fish and that place is very different in the winter (or so I'm told)... If a guide isn't an option just go to steamboat (camp water) as a starting point and go up or down as you see fit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for the input. I made the choice to pay some of my high interest student loans instead of hiring a guide, hence the DIY trip. Otherwise I wouldn't be bugging you guys for tips. So with that said I really appreciate the info as this will give me a good start.

Thanks - Bob

·
Registered
555 Posts
Winter or summer I always cross Mott bridge at steamboat and swing a fly in camp water for at least a little while. In winter I prefer the water downstream from there. The upper canyon is tighter with more pocketwater and wading is difficult in the higher flows of winter so I spend my time searching out more easily waded runs downstream. Don't worry about the fish, just enjoy the river and do your best to fish it well. If a fish or two come your way it's just a bonus.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice Peteo, it's much appreciated. I've heard so much about how gorgeous this river is that I am itchin' for March to come.

Bob

·
Registered
909 Posts
Winter or summer I always cross Mott bridge at steamboat and swing a fly in camp water for at least a little while. In winter I prefer the water downstream from there. The upper canyon is tighter with more pocketwater and wading is difficult in the higher flows of winter so I spend my time searching out more easily waded runs downstream. Don't worry about the fish, just enjoy the river and do your best to fish it well. If a fish or two come your way it's just a bonus.
Good Advice right there! Bob , Give me a call before you come I can help you fine tune the areas you pick (on the Rogue anyhow) before you come depending on conditions.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Nate/Family are 'Good People.'

Good Advice right there! Bob , Give me a call before you come I can help you fine tune the areas you pick (on the Rogue anyhow) before you come depending on conditions.
The 'Rogue' I know, but not like this young man. He's 'exceptional.' You want a Guide, he's your man.

fae

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Nate, thanks a ton. I will be sure to give you a call before March.

Fred, I have already had the pleasure of spending a day on the Rogue with Nate. He is indeed the man! :)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
If I can get my 'health' back together ...

Hey Nate, thanks a ton. I will be sure to give you a call before March.

Fred, I have already had the pleasure of spending a day on the Rogue with Nate. He is indeed the man! :)
I'd like to have him take me a float on his 'Home Water,' the Williamson in SE Oregon. If memory serves, he was born/raised on the banks of that stream.

Fine young man, his wife/boys are a reflection of the Husband/Father.

fae

1 - 18 of 18 Posts