·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An open invitation to join

THE NORTH SANTIAM SPEY CASTER​
To promote and enhance the art of casting with the two-handed rod​
NEW CLUB BEING FORMED NOW​

A group of spey casters in the Salem area are uniting to form a new club based upon the tried and true art of Spey Casting. The growth of spey casting from Europe to the Northwest has ignited this fast growing segment of fly fishing.
A new club is being formed to facilitate, educate, promote and enhance spey casting: The North Santiam Spey Caster.

Membership​
Membership is open to anyone interested. Dues are $49 a year which includes your yearly membership in the Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF). If you are a member of the FFF, dues are $20 per year. The NSSC is a Charter Club for the Federation of Fly Fishers which allows 503 © 3 tax benefits.

Charter Membership​
Now through September, new members will automatically become charter members in the NSSC. The first FFF Spey Charter Club in the United States.

Meetings​
Meetings will be held the 2nd Sunday of each month a 2:00pm at Cascade Park on Walter Wirth’s South Pond located in Salem, Oregon. Meeting will focus on practical application of spey casting, developing fishing skills and conservation issues.

Mission Statement​
· Promote Spey Casting through education as an effective, efficient and enjoyable method of fly fishing.
· Enhance and expand the Art and Science of Spey Casting.
· Make aware FFF code of Fly Fishing Ethics

Newsletter​
Monthly through e-mail and web page www.northsanitamspeycasters.org
under construction

For more information Contact:
Dwight Klemin
[email protected]

Keith Burkhart
[email protected]

Stan Steele
[email protected]

Now is the time to act;
become a part of Spey Fly Fishing History

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reminder, Reminder, Reminder​
North Santiam Spey Casters

Organizational/Information Meeting Planned​

August 3rd, 2004
Porter’s Pub in Keizer
7:00pm

Join us for this time of organization and information regarding the North Santiam Spey Casters. Discussing our Mission Statement, Goals, and assigning duties

Porter’s Pub is located 4820 River Road North at Dearborn. There is a meeting area for up to 30 spey casters with great food and adult beverages available.

Our first month has eleven paid members and a number of individuals are expressing interest in joining.

ALSO,
Looking for someone to develop the web page!!! We have www.northsantiamspeycasters.org registered. With the web page our newsletter and club information can be always available to members and interested spey casters.

Please let me know if you are attending and planning to eat (no-host). Porter’s Pub needs the information for the number of servers.

Dwight Klemin [email protected] or 503.390.8997

Call for map to Porter's Pub in Salem

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update on the new NSSC

Our first meeting was August 8th. 13 casters in attendance. Total membership is now 21. Anyone interested in stopping by on the 2nd Sunday at 2:00 of each month is very welcome. Also, if you want an email newsletter let me know.
Klem, President

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Klem,

I wish I could join and attend. Any organization that holds business at a place called Porter’s Pub in Keizer is my kinda club!

:)

May the club grow and prosper!

Juro

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NSSC September Newsletter is out

If you would like our September newsletter, send me your email address and I will be happy to include you in our email list. Klem

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NSSC Sept Meeting

September NSSC Meeting​

If you are in the Salem area on Sept 12th stop by Cascade Gateway park at 2:00 for the September NSSC club meeting. Looks like there will be around 25 speyers attending with a couple of guys traveling all the way from Grants Pass. Klem

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dana's spirit

We felt it all the way down there Dana. A great time casting and seeing fellow casters from around the Oregon/Washington area. Olga and Roman Koran came down from Portland and will be joining the club as soon as Dad gets back from fishing the N. Umpqua. Those two kids are terrific and good for the sport of spey casting. My highlight of the days was watching Al Buhr tutor Olga and seeing her cast non-dominate hand for the first time. She hit a couple of perfect cast with the non-dominate. Loop did good thing with those two on kids. Thanks again for the positive "in spirit" thoughts. Klem

·
Registered
344 Posts
Klem,

We sure enjoyed ourselves with the NSSC on Sunday. Roman and Olga were still casting an hour later after everyone except Al and Leroy (speyrod) had left! Their enthusiasm cost me an evening on the N. Umpqua, but it was worth it.

Al, and everyone, were great. I really appreciate all the encouragement Olga and Roman have received: They do love the casting itself, but the encouragement that makes it special.

Also, a special thanks to Al for the casting instruction booklet he sent to O & R today. Looks fantastic; I hope it will keep me able to instruct for a little while longer before they are just too good for my limited capabilities.

We are thankful for rods provided by Loop via Ron Arnold, and hope that O & R can repay Loop (and the spey community) with their time in the coming months and years.

Oh, another important thanks to Keith Burkhart for inviting us when he saw us at the FFF conclave.

Our NSSC membership is on its way. It's a great group with great knowledge and skill. I know we'll learn a lot, and I really want to work on casts with left hand up!

--Bill

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill,
Hope you and the family can make October 3rd meeting. Watching Roman and Olga cast is a blast. Looking fowards to hearing about the Umpqua. Klem

·
Registered
344 Posts
Klem,

I thought only I would make it, but now it looks like probably the 3 of us will make it. We will be roughly 30 minutes late, though, to get the kids there.

I will be there for sure because I really want to work on my casting with left hand up. Both my kids now put me to shame with the non-dominant hand. (This weekend on the Umpqua, Olga was shooting line with a Windcutter, casting 80-85 foot singles with left hand on top, I kid you not. Thank you Al Buhr !!! Now to see about some longer bellied lines for her rod...)

Umpqua was fair last trip, slow this trip (I made a 2nd trip since the last NSSC casting). I ran into Ray Phelps and Mike Rodgers on Tuesday.

However, despite the slow fishing, Olga hooked her first ever steelhead on Saturday! On a waker! Plus she raised 2 more fish on Sunday. I or we will tell you about it on Sunday.

--Bill

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We will be there, so make when you can. Be safe and we will be patient. Good to read about the Umpqua and more excited about the kids getting fish to come up. Klem

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next Meeting

November 14th at 2PM in Salem. e-mail for directions. Great bunch of guys and gals developing, contributing and sharing spey stuff. Klem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts