Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hoping to try the N F Stilly ,is there any online info that anyone knows of ,that could help me ,find a spot to put in my raft ,and have a good all day drift ,with little scary water?.Also would be nice to have a river map with access points .Thanks in advance .

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Ironspey,

The NF Stilly is rather skinny water in the summer and a raft is not really practical, unless you want to drag it over gravel in a lot of places. There are public fishing access points on the NF Stilly starting in Arlington (there is a boat ramp in town and just upstream of the confluence of the NF and SF you can access the river via the baseball fields, the river is a very short walk from the parking area). Cicero Bridge (about 7 miles from Arlington) provides access (you can't miss it, since it is the first bridge over the river after you get away from Arlington proper.

As you proceed upriver, there is access at Hazel (you can't miss this because the river runs right beside the road at this point. Boulder Creek has a public access point, but it is not easy to see. The Boulder public access is found by taking a left on to the dirt road just after you cross the bridge over a creek a few miles upstream of Hazel and driving to the end of the road (literally, the end of the road in the bush), the trail to the river will be on your left.

Then there is the "infamous" Fortson's and Picnic Tables runs right at the Whitehorse rearing ponds. They are accessed by taking the Fortson Pond Road right at the next high voltage power line crossing as you go east from Boulder Creek, it is about 3 or so mile from Boulder Creek.

This ought to give you a good amount of water to fish.

The above are all well-known public access areas on the NF Stilly, so be prepared for having some company, including the company of newcomers to steelhead fly fishing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot for the info :smokin: .Have you heard if there has been enough fish to warrant a trip down ,my only other source of info down that way is reporting poor returns to most summer run rivers.I'm also taking a trip down to the OP to fish summers with some locals ,the last week of july ,can't wait .

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I haven't found any yet this summer, not have the other folks I know who fish it regularly. I hope the fish are just late this year; but I'm concerned because prime time on the Stilly should be here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts