Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After discussing with Topher Browne, there will be a Nor'Easter Spey Clave this April in New Hampshire. We are currently looking at the second weekend of the month, so get your taxes done early or better yet file for an extension :p

Most likely we'll do it on the Coolidge Woods Federal Reserve area in Bristol NH, a stretch of the upper Pemigewasset that looks like you stepped back in time. The river has a population of smallmouth, oversized trout and brood stock atlantic salmon, some exceeding 20 pounds. So after the casting if you are interested in trying your luck it's a good place to do it.

If the river rises above it's banks there is another small river basin a few miles up the road where we held the get-together last year.

Much more to come, please reply if you are from New England and are interested in attending.

J

·
0 Posts
Juro

After pointing out on the Great Lakes board the conflict the Great Lakes Clave had with Mothers' Day I'm hesitant to bring up that your proposed weekend is also Easter weekend. No problem as long as you are aware of the fact, but one would think that might cause family commitment problems for some prospective attendees who would want to spend the entire weekend at the clave.

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, my wife had already slapped me on that one! :eek:

I have been thinking about alternate dates but based on my last chat with Topher there may be conflicts before and after that weekend. :(

I will be at the Golden Gate CC event and I believe Topher will be somewhere remote chasing scout salmon.

Oh well, maybe we'll try in early May but it's no secret where my ass will be that time of year...

http://coast.mit.edu/draw-ortho.cgi?image=329818

Back to the drawing board....

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On close inspection, the channel structures have dramatically changed since this photo, for instance the inlet channel is no longer so well-defined and favors Nauset, the flats are just as scrambled although the changes are not as easily discerned although the sand deposits are transient structures with surprises through the season for the attentive angler.

In the depth of cold winter doldrums I stare and I dream of bright waters flooding over sugar sands, mirages gliding over their shadows like ghosts... come on spring!!!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Griz0707,

Nice to see someone from my old stomping grounds on the forum. I grew up and lived about 20 miles south of Hazelton off I-81.

Although I left PA in 1979 at age 25, I have many found memories of both the Delaware and Lehigh rivers, and many other northeast PA rivers and streams. There were many places on the Lehigh that a 2-hander would have been advantageous and night fishing for huge browns on both the Delaware and Lehigh would have been much better with a 2-hander too.

I now live in WA and find it difficult to get the time to go visit the old fishing holes because of family and job; however, I will one day get back and fish the shad run on the Delaware with a 2-hander.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Saturday May 22nd?

How does Saturday, May 22nd sound for a proposed Nor'Easter Spey Clave?

Last year's Nor'Easter Clave was cancelled due to...well, a Nor'Easter that dropped several inches of frozen fertilizer on our heads on the way to the river (roads were a mess). I guess it's not nice to fool Mother Nature with some early-season Spey casting.

Mr. CND Spey USA his bad self (Juro) has agreed to suspend any "Stripah" activities (that would be Nor'Easter for "Striped Bass") for May 22nd. The spot is the Merrimack River near Concord, N.H. where 'SpeyBro' of Rio Products fame filmed a portion of the video "International Spey Casting."

If it snows on May 22nd, I'm moving to Cancun to sell two-handed rods.

·
Banned
103 Posts
I'd really like to attend this event, but the week in April will see us in Spain. I can definitely make the weekend of May 22nd, should that become a viable option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
May 22

Well,

I will be there on the 22nd seeing as I:

1. Live in Manchester, NH (15 miles from Concord)
2. Own a spey rod that I have never used (CND of course)
3. Know what a D loop is - even if my D looks like a J

The stripers will be all over the NH coast and the Merrimack at that time of year but it is worth the trip to hang with Topher and Juro.

Count me in.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
922 Posts
Damn!
Now the tarpon won't allow me to attend. Last year it was the weather.
I'll try to make the CCod gathering the previous weekend.
Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Update for me: the stripers got to me!

I booked the Anchorage that weekend for a trip with my family down to the Cape.

I am sorry that I will miss out on this event but my striper fishing weekends are limited in May and I needed to take advantage of my free time.

Have fun guys,

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts