Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Show of hands please: Nor'Easter Clave

For planning purposes, please respond to this thread if we can count on your presence this weekend. Exact location will be reported after the scout trip on Wednesday, most likely on the Pemigewasset River above the Franklin Dam in the new atlantic salmon brood stock water just opened by NH along Coolidge Woods Rd. just east of Bristol very close to 93, about 10 mins north of Franklin.

We won't rule out Sewalls' Falls until after the scout trip. I also know a good stretch on River St in Franklin I will inspect. The original lodging suggestion of the Motel 8 in Tilton still applies, but you may want to look for something closer to Bristol if you wish depending on the scouting report.

REPLY if you are going to attend:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Juro
I plan to attend. Will wait until after Wed report to make hotel reservations based on your recommendations.
Bill
 

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will add 3 (per phone):

Nick Wilder is interested, will confirm w/ location
John Kelsey will attend
Patrick Brown will attend

With Mike Doogue the count is at 7 currently... expecting confirmations from Domenic, macspey+2, jdemarie, Eddie+2, Jay Clancy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Juro,
Sorry for the late reply. I will see Seth Wed. Him and I will probably be there.
I will post Wed. eve to confirm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I am good for Saturday all day but I will not be around on Saturday evening or Sunday.

Looking forward to learning a bit about the longer rods.

Juro, anything I can do to help out?

-Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Sorry buddy I'm out due to the new developments that we discussed the other day.

HAve a great time - stay out of the Red Bull!

Roop
 

·
just one more cast...
Joined
·
163 Posts
Planning to make it...

Juro-
Pending the outcome of your scouting mission, I plan to make it, and will bring 1-3 others, depending on conditions. The reason I'm a bit hesistant is that the rivers here (White River/Conn. River) are still nearly unapproachable, much less wadeable. Hopefully the Pemi looks a little more friendly! Looking forward to a great get-together, even if we have to push the date up.
John
 

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well there I was like little bear... tried papa's porridge (Merrimac) way too hot, in fact in the trees for the most part. Then I hopped over to momma's porridge... (Pemigewasset). Still a little too hot, but the Coolidge Woods section is gorgeous, I can't wait to go back there once the river settles down a bit. The minimum wading depth would be above the crotch and you'd still be perry-pokin all day with the water up to the banks so I kept driving and tried junior's porridge (Newfound) and that was just right!

Newfound River, fly-only landlocked salmon section!

Actually, a little small but being the first clave of the season out here it's gotta be good for the ego if you can touch the other bank with a cast :devil:

Here are some pics I took:



Really good bank, lots of room albeit a small river under normal flows there was enough room for 6 simultaneous casters for sure.



In great shape really, and there are landlocked salmon in the stretch right now. Fly-fishing only as well.



Clean and easy wading.

Well - what do people think? I am going anyway, it's too nice of a spot to forfeit a chance to get out and cast, maybe even hook a native landlocked Newfound lake salmon.

Lodging very closeby, plenty of restaurants, etc. Only downside is that the river is too narrow for grandspey work or distance shooting, otherwise it's a great little spot!
 

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To Domenic's point I just looked at the weather report... rain and snow, not shirt sleeve weather by any stretch of the imagination. The long-range forecast for the following week looks much better but is really not reliable.

I'd be doing both weekends. I'll just work the 13' 7/8 weight thru the stretch looking for a native landlocked salmon to grab my fly and be quite happy if the weather turns to crap and we postpone.

Yet it might be advisable afterall to hold off until the following weekend if cool weather is an issue for attendees...

thoughts?

(given the responses to this I will contact those confirmed with explicit details)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Weather does look a little iffy — and windy. River looks great, though. This weekend probably works a little better for my schedule but could probably do it a week later. Let's see what others think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Hmmm...

Good talking with you this morning Juro.

I would be game for either weekend but my vote is for the better weather option.

I say the following weekend is worth the delay. The weather at the end of the week looks pretty damn snotty.

I may head out and fish this weekend anyway but with the single hander.

-Mike
 

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We'll need to decide today.

[1]Intellicast: High in the upper 30's (37) Mix of Rain and Snow[/1]

I will be fishing anyway on the first stretch from the lake down and the impoundment pool in the morning with the 13' 7/8, after lunch I will probably break out the whuppin' stick (15' 10/11) and go test the Coolidge Woods waters on the Pemi or Sewalls Falls strictly for casting practice in big flows.

The Merrimac is unfishable except for that channel between the high school and river st where the state dumps the brood stockers in. They often congregate in that channel before spreading out in the river so if anyone is interested in trying for a big salmon battle that spot's fishable for a couple guys even in high water albeit will be crowded on the weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
I'm guessing the following weekend would be best. The idea of arriving Friday evening during sleet or ice isn't terribly appealing.
 

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK - sounds like a crappy weekend for this. We can either do it next weekend or wait 3 weekends out.

In any case, Bristol is ideal because of lodging, proximity to both the Newfound and Pemi which was borderline and might settle down by next weekend or soon thereafter. I don't think we'll see the Merrimack come back until May.

There are good lodging options on Newfound Lake (Whiporwhill, Blackberry off season rates w/ restaurant in the hotel, etc) as well as landlocks in the river and brood stockers in the pemi, close to rte 93, etc.

I will be hitting the Newfound with my 13' 7/8 CND on Sat or Sun, fishing light sink tips with marabou smelt patterns and the like. I'll let you know what I can stir up.

Please post your preferences for either next weekend or the 26th.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top