Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow chrome chasers,

Been fishing my whole life and have had lots of time single handing for trout, but would like to start throwing some flies at steelies. So I need to get a rod and don't have a whole lot to spend. I could do about 600 all in. So with that, am looking at the Echo DHII 6.5 package. Also am looking at a similar TFO Deer Creek setup. Any other recommendations? I will mainly be fishing for Winter Steelhead on rivers like the Grande Ronde or smaller… I know eventually I will need to get a 7 or 8 weight for the bigger steelhead, but thats not in the budget yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just grabbed a 7130 DH rod for $200, put a Sage 2210 on it with a Rio Skagit Max 525 line on it and an Airflo Running Line. Under $500 for the whole shebang. It's my first Spey and I have yet to cast it, rivers are blown out:roll: I was looking at that DHII6.5, but couldnt pass up the deal I found on that used Gen 1 Decho.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Keep your eyes open for a used Burkie. The 7127 and 7134's are perfect for the Ronde. You will ocassionally see one for around $600. Then dicker. Had my best day on the Ronde with a 7134 and an Airflo 450 Scandi. Love that little Burkie.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just grabbed a 7130 DH rod for $200, put a Sage 2210 on it with a Rio Skagit Max 525 line on it and an Airflo Running Line. Under $500 for the whole shebang. It's my first Spey and I have yet to cast it, rivers are blown out:roll: I was looking at that DHII6.5, but couldnt pass up the deal I found on that used Gen 1 Decho.
The DH7130 "First Gen" is the easiest rod to cast. It was my first rod, and made learning easy! I ended up selling to a friend to get him started in Spey (Damn, I'm a nice guy!:D). I told him to sell it back to me if he buys a new rod. 1 year later he still uses the Deco, and has no intention of letting go! This rod is at the top of my list for first-timers.

This rod casts itself, and loads deep into the cork. So if your having any problems casting, just slow down. The 525gr sounds good, I used a 510gr or 540gr Airflo. The 510gr felt a little better and quicker, the 540gr loads deeper, but slower.

My buddy Nick's first fish with the Decho, a humpy:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,060 Posts
Echo TR or DH Series or Beulah

New Echo or used Beulah Platinum will serve you well, the seven weights in all these families are great rods to learn with. And, unless you just get the itch, a more expensive rod may be a long time coming. These rods are a joy to cast.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The DH7130 "First Gen" is the easiest rod to cast. It was my first rod, and made learning easy! I ended up selling to a friend to get him started in Spey (Damn, I'm a nice guy!:D). I told him to sell it back to me if he buys a new rod. 1 year later he still uses the Deco, and has no intention of letting go! This rod is at the top of my list for first-timers.

This rod casts itself, and loads deep into the cork. So if your having any problems casting, just slow down. The 525gr sounds good, I used a 510gr or 540gr Airflo. The 510gr felt a little better and quicker, the 540gr loads deeper, but slower.

Thanks for the tips. I was going to get the 540 Airflo, but the shop I was out just sold their last one that morning. It will be interesting to see how the 525 comes in with this rod.

Congrats to your buddy and yes, you are a good friend!

·
Registered
104 Posts

I was in the same boat two years ago and after lots of research, picked up a (very) lightly used Echo DH2 7130. Im really happy with it and would highly recommend one...

·
Registered
161 Posts
quality on the cheap

if you're looking for quality on the cheap and you are already leaning towards Echo ( my entire current inventory is Echo).. then maybe you wanna check out the Echo Classic series. I have the 7129 and love it. load your spool with opst lazer running line and go with the airflo 510 skagit switch head and you are in for a treat. the Ion reels in 8/10 balance that rod perfectly. check out caddis fly shop online and you can get the whole package..rod reel backing running line head for only $450. free shipping too i believe. i was just at rajeff sports this weekend and Tim Rajeff and I were talking about the classic series. to quote loosely: "if i were to put a different name on that blank i could charge 3x what i do now." i.e....first DH rod price.....but a rod you may never put down. just my 2 cents. good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts