Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I know that folks have been trying to reach me but I've not had landline phone service for the past week.

Getting really fed up with my present phone service ... Nothing is getting done to remedy the problem in spite of my attempts.

Thinking of going with Vonage ?

Any thoughts on this service ?

Meiz

·
A guy who loves to fish
67 Posts
I have used Vonage at home for about two years now with no real complaints and the cost is right. There a few of things to consider though, one is that it is only as good as your internet connection so if you have spotty or unreliable internet then it won't work. I live in the Portland Metro area so it has never been a problem. Another thing is power outages because the router has to be powered to have a connection. Finally, is if you plan to use it for a fax line as well some of the fax machines are not compatible with VOIP services (I found that out the hard way).

Other than that it's great and I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

·
Registered
189 Posts
vonage rules

i have had vonage for two years. never had an issue. sometimes my cable internet loses its connection which requires my phone router to have to be reset.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
e911

Hi Bob,

I'm about to email you the RTW order. One of my buddies was trying to call you to clarify somethings. I'll tell him to email you.

re: Vonage. Be sure to check about emergency 911. Landline can find you instantly...VOIP providers sometimes not so fast or not at all. Vonage had been sued over this (a few folks died when 911 couldn't respond) but I think the Feds mandated some changes. In my books safety comes first.

Preston

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
The e911 problems were around in 2005 but major changes have been made and it is as reliable as regular 911 now. At least in my area. The only worry is if you lose power or your internet service then you have no phone. Both my wife and I have cell phones so we have some redundancy there and we are probably going to cancel the land line here soon to save the $50 a month.

-sean

·
Banned
974 Posts
We switched our home phone line from SBC/ATT to Comcast a couple of years ago and have had better service and call quality. We have never lost the signal.

- David

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you guys, been a great help.

We'll be switching over to internet phone service today.

I apologize to those that have been trying to reach me and I've not returned.

Seems the phone is working again as of this AM.

Meiz

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
We switched our home phone line from SBC/ATT to Comcast a couple of years ago and have had better service and call quality. We have never lost the signal.

- David
We have Comcast cable in the GR area. Signal goes in and out constantly. Would hate to have my internet and phone tied into that also. Not to mention what it takes to get somebody out to the house for service, or having to talk to Habib Mohammed in Pakistan, who took over for Bob Johnson when they sent Bob's job overseas to cut costs. Not to mention the dirt ball meth heads they send out for the service call.

All facts considered I guess I am a bit biased, but VOIP is a flawed technology, IMHO.

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Biased?

All facts considered I guess I am a bit biased, but VOIP is a flawed technology, IMHO.
Yeah, what company's name is on your paycheck Jamey? :razz: :razz: :razz:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Another option?

How about using a cell phone? Just kidding Bob, but now you know why Joan and I finally said 'to hell with it' and dumped our land line all together ... just use our cells phones at this point.

·
Registered
35 Posts
More Power

Bob,

I have Comcast, which works great, untill the power goes out, as many others have stated. The cable modems/routers generally have a small battery for backup, but they don't last long. I get a lot of power bumps etc.

I have my PC and the cable modem plugged itnto a UPS.. no not the big brown truck.. an uninterruptible power supply. If you just use it for the internet modem a small 350 to 500VA will keep you going for days. If you want to protect your PC as well it will take something larger and you will need to set the PC up for fast shutdown so as to not drain the battery.

Just a thought. A 350VA will cost you about $50.

Rich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts