Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a 10 day run across N and NW Ireland with my wife. I got skunked on salmon, scrounged up a few trout to partially save the day. Good water, despite high winds and intermittent heavy rains. I got a terrible cold on day 2 and generally felt like death warmed over for the rest of the trip.

I've missed fishing days on a couple different trips by checking my gear, so this time I invested in a nice carry-on travel case. A couple searches here and Blanton's and a couple Irish-specific venues suggested that I'd be OK, and indeed, I had no troubles at all carrying rods and reels from the US. Hooks were all in a separate checked duffle.

When we were scrambling to get through security at Shannon, the security lady inspecting my case informed me that all the line and backing had to come off. Four reels + three extra spools, including a couple big reels that are loaded with a lot of backing for sw duty. That was bad, but she positively lost her mind at a bundle of cable ties ("Have ye not watched Hawaii Five-O? That's how they bind up people! You could take over the plane with these!") and also binned two new rolls of braided wire for pike leaders (at $20 each) before I could protest. I called a supervisor over and he agreed to let me go back to check my case (which cost me an extra 100€...).

As I was checking the case, the baggage man asked what was in it. When I mentioned fishing tackle, he cocked an eyebrow and replied "Oh, one of the boys in the back will be really interested to see that! He's a keen angler." ...as I'm thinking "I'm never going to see my equipment again."

Maybe part of it was increased security due to Prince Charles & Camille's visit -- they flew into Shannon later that day (though I sincerely doubt they make him strip all of the line and backing off of his reels when he flies!).

At least the case arrived at my home airport intact. Grrrr...

Anyway, be warned. I suspect it's a complete crapshoot depending on the airport and the security agents that happen to be working.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Wouldn't they allow you to bag it all up, and ship it home separately?

If not, I'd be saying more than grrrrrr!

Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A buddy and I go salmon fishing in northern Scotland every March. I check everything except a carry on with nothing but clothes in it. My friend always has something in his carry on that interests security, and with his visible frustration they always decide to go through everything with a fine tooth comb. He's a diabetic who sweats when he is upset, and he has to then answer questions about that too...:confused: Heathrow's terminal number 5 is the worst of it. Every terrorist on earth has probably gone through that place.:)

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
The hilarious title of your post certainly downplays what must have been an extremely frustrating experience.:):mad:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yep, I once tried to carry on my reels on my return trip that went through Nassau. TSA recommends that reels go in your carry on. Nassau security disagrees. When they wouldn't allow them I said my bag has already been checked. They said they'd go get it. They did, I put the reels in my checked bag. Arriving in the US, 2 Danielssons and 2 spools, plus lines and backing were gone.

All my returns to the Bahamas I never go through Nassau — other airports let my reels and lines in my carry ons. No Nassau for me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have had like issues with line and backing on reels. They were not worried about the reels themselves. No problems with the USA but had problems coming back from Mexico and Costa Rica. Again no issues going into these countries from the USA.
Who knows?

·
Registered
184 Posts
no problems in Shannon in either direction,

but connecting at JFK has driven me nuts more than once

when I showed the "agent" the TSA page about flies should be in the carry on- he said the web site was wrong :confused:

and

did you know rods can be used as swords or spears :eek:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm going from Ontario to BC this August, I hope I don't have to go through the same issues!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
About 5 years ago I flew into Terrace BC (pretty much steelhead capitol of the world!!!!) Lost my rods for a day as I did not carry on but believe it or not when leaving at end of trip the guy at the terminal would not let me carry on about 10 spools of Maxima leader - fishing guys everywhere in the terminal!!!! So rather than letting the idiot have them I gave them to the folks from the lodge that brought us to the airport

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
May in Ireland

was in Turkey and Ireland this May for trout. the spouse did way better than me, I did get into a Salmon.

we carried on fly rods and reels, through Ottawa, Toronto, Istanbul and Dublin on Air Canada and Turkish Airlines without issues. air canada is announcing they are returning to strict carry on policies again as of today, which would mean my rod carrier, which is too long to policy, would not be allowed.

I often check in, especially winter. I see a delayed bag once against 100,000+ miles.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Health now limits my travel ... to Walmart.

But back in the day I'd just contact the place I was headed and have the stuff FedEx'ed ahead. (Is there some place in the World they can't deliver?) All nice and comfie when I got to the Lodge or Hotel.

Always loved the line: "Do you have anything to declare?"

'Why yes, I have two duty free bottles of single malt.'

'Have a good day Sir.' :D

fae

1 - 13 of 13 Posts