Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all
Our salmom fishing season for most Scottish rivers has just ended on 15 October. I have a few life long (dearly loved) fishing friends here in Scotland who Spey cast (like me) from 15 January (start of season) to 15 October(end of season) come frost snow, hell or high water. Their addicton to Spey casting is virtually incurable. They would rather die than fish worm or spin or crankbait. This predicament and adddiction to spey casting rather than other forms of fishing as you will know now seems to be universal and incurable.
My question is, have we all gone mad......... obsessed with the method rather than a salmon steak on the table.
Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
You are lucky. Some of us in Scotland have to fish to the end of November. I have fishing on the Doon and Earn next week, Annan week after and the Tweed the week after that.That only gives a 6 week break before I will be out on the Tummel on opening day in January.
I am also addicted to spey casting but I see no reason why you should not also take pleasure in certain situations from swimming a devon in big rivers(like a fly) and even swimming a worm in a big Tay flood. The latter to remind yourself of boyhood days.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Mike

If it is just a salmon steak on the table, it is much cheaper to buy it at the store. Fortunately there is much more to fishing and spey in particular. I am always reminded that talking with a shrink is $75 per hour or more and when I fish I do not need to talk. Just another way at looking at what we are doing and how it helps mental health.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Sorry. In the USA there is a cure It is part of a two step progam: cast, swing, take two steps, repeat. This may not work on your Scottish beats but after a day of this regime the USA addicts are cured (for a day!) :chuckle:

Best,
David.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Worse yet! Several rivers in Oregon are (effectively) open all year to fishing. Only thing that really changes may be what part of a river you can/can't 'target' a specific fish. This may come as (longest I remember) is a month closure on a given type of salmon, or what part of the river you could keep a fish if you caught same.

Byond that Clive, you're good to go ... you don't have the time to 'cure the addition.'

·
Registered
62 Posts
Most andramous rivers and are open all year except for head water nursery areas in the GLs region so you can spey all year as long as you can take the cold winter weather.

:D

·
JD
3,641 Posts
pretty much says it all

t_richerzhagen said:
If it is just a salmon steak on the table, it is much cheaper to buy it at the store. Fortunately there is much more to fishing and spey in particular. I am always reminded that talking with a shrink is $75 per hour or more and when I fish I do not need to talk. Just another way at looking at what we are doing and how it helps mental health.
Have to agree 100% There is nothing like time on the river to rejuvenate (restoreth?) the soul.
BTW: saw on a t-shirt last week:
Jesus said go fishing.
He said nothing about mownig the lawn, painting the house, doing the laundry, or washing the car. :whoa:

Too bad they didn't have it in my size. :(

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Incureable!

I agree that Ted got it in one! Riverside recharges my batteries. I sit in my office all week on countdown until I can get on the water Spey casting on a Saturday. We have no Sunday fishing for salmon in Scotland as you may know. Even the salmon get a break!
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, people, reading these posts makes me realize how lucky I am living in Northwestern British Columbia (Canada). I can fish fresh or salt literally 12 months per year. The longer I am here the more I appreciate it.

I spend most of my time in courtrooms litigating; fishing provides some of those few moments in life that are essentially perfect, and makes all the other nonsense life makes you endure bearable. I've never been able to put my finger on exactly what it is that fishing does for me, but I have fishing pictures up all over my walls as a reminder of how good it can be.

Even if your season ends in October, we are all truly fortunate to have found such a simple, yet fulfilling activity.

Fish on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts