Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off to Portland Friday AM for the Sandy 'Clave. Made it a full three city blocks before I met the 'nice man' driving the GMC. Stop signs were "not his thing." :roll: My Jeep Liberty no longer has a right side. Impact was hard enough to actually blow out both tires.

Rattled my cage pretty darned good; Alisandro (my yellow lab) got the worst of it, but Vet says he's 'ok.'

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Whew...

Fred,
Glad that you and the pooch are OK. Too bad about the vehicle and Sandy, but I'm sure you've already found your silver lining.
There is nothing quite like the sound of crunching metal...

Best,
Seth

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Fred

you are giving your guardian angel a workout. Glad you have a good one. Cars and things can be replaced. Hope to see you at the Sandy next year.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seth, interesting you should bring up the term 'silver lining.' Less than 60 seconds after 'the big bang' my next door neighbor drove by and said: "Geeze! That's Fred's car!!"

I can immage standing on some street corner with a few thousand dollars worth of fly rods, reels, suit case, the dog, etc., and etc., some place in/around Portland 300++ miles from home. That would have been a real *****!:saevilw: Joan did give me a good laugh (the only one of the day I might add) when she told me that 'statisticly' most accidents happen within 25 miles of your home. To which I responded 'why not?' Most trips people take are short runs to the store, etc., made sense to me.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Willie, I'll know tomorrow (Tuesday at the latest) on that. As it appears the frame may be bent, etc., I hope so as it may take weeks to get it repaired and back in my hands.:saevilw:

The one thing I know for sure (his insurance company adjuster) is they 'totaled' his Gimmie SUV. Often wondered why a car as 'small' as the Jeep Liberty weighed in at over 4300 pounds. Now I know .... save for the tires, it's all steel.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Fred -

Close one! Glad to hear you are OK, let's do another scotch toast in a styrofoam cup 'to health' next time we meet.

regards,
Juro

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Juro, works for me!!!! But skip the plastic cups, I'll bring some proper glassware.:smokin: AND a bottle (or two) of (actual) glacier water if you want a 'mixer.'
Fred

·
Registered
344 Posts
Fred,

I asked JD about you at the clave. Sorry to hear about the accident, but it sure was lucky to have it close to home and that you are OK. There will always be another get-together! Glad you survived not making this one!!

--Bill

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can only speak to the Jeep Liberty, but this time they actually did it right. German pride? Who knows. But the Liberty drives like a sports car, tight, quite (save for one situation:saevilw: ), etc., and etc.

Only strike against it is with its weight (4360 dry) a gas sipper it isn't.:razz:

·
Registered
201 Posts
myjp, that press release is for the Commander and notice that it only mentions front impact testing.

If you follow my link you will see that just about every Jeep product manufactured prior to 2005 receives the, " marginal," rating in every category.

With Daimler at the helm, I would expect the safety ratings to rise as new models are released.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
mjyp said:
Never had an issue with the 3 I have owned, perhaps you need to release the parking brake before driving.:chuckle:

Heard that was a michigan thing.

Had an 03', transmission went at 30K, faulty valve in the front end of it, slaps shut and cuts off fluid flow. Transfer case went at 35K, both are very common problems in the newer style GC's. At 45K the rear end went, I was out of warrenty and dumped it back on the dealership I got it from. I know 2 people that have had Chrysler buy theirs back from them because of lemon laws. 4 different friends and family members who have had to replace the cams in Libertys w/ under 30K. They biffed when they quit making the XJ Cherokees IMHO, bullet proof, had two of them, a real 4wd system, solid axels, leave in the rear. Now they make vehicles for soccer moms.:hihi: :chuckle: :hihi: :chuckle: Oh, and "Indiana steelheaders":razz:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Jeep GC

With apologies to Fred who I hope is Ok, my story about a Jeep GC tops that. I bought a brand new one the first year they came out. Drove it less than 10k. Was driving to the airport one day on the way to a seminar, smoke started pouring out from under the hood and within a minute it was a blazing ball of fire. Faulty fuel recycling pump! Total loss. :mad:

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
mjyp said:
you michigan boys are tough on your vehicles, must be all those stops at founders. never put it in park while you are moving...:D bad things happen.

heard michigan is the dumping ground for all of detroits lemons................:hihi:

I think they're made in Ohio:rolleyes: . There are a ton of them on the road though, so they must be doing something right. I hold a grudge as it was the 1st "new" vehicles I ever bought and it went to hell. I'll probably never own anything other than a Ford F150 from here on out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts