Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I would like to get a container for carrying tips & leaders that is both compact and well made. Your suggestions would be appreciated and any photos would be even better :)

Thank you,

Ard

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,134 Posts
Ard

Check with Bob or Steve at Meiser's. I saw some in their shop that have accordion pleats that fan open on one side to store tips, cigarette papers, whatever. Velcro closure. Heavy canvas-type material.

Reactions: Hardyreels

·
Outerhebrides
214 Posts
I have been shopping these lately. Olympic Peninsula Skagit Tactics looks like the best design for tips, because it allows them to dry out. They are on their site under Accessories. For leaders, there are a lot of options, but Rio's wallet (the kind they use for their MOW kits) is nicely made, and you can buy new inserts for it for about $6. Finsport makes some nice stuff as well. Good luck.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys :)

I'll check out your recommendations, I had already put one of the RIO wallets in my account cart but thought I better ask the experienced folks here. I use a leather folder that was given to me almost 40 years ago but couldn't hope to ever find another. I want one for a gift to a fishing friend who I spotted carrying several zip lock bags with sink tips and mini heads etc.

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
Ard

Check with Bob or Steve at Meiser's. I saw some in their shop that have accordion pleats that fan open on one side to store tips, cigarette papers, whatever. Velcro closure. Heavy canvas-type material.
Those are/were the mangrove wallets probably. I think Bob must have gotten a special run of them because they were in a different color (brown) than originally offered other places online (olive and grey). For a while it seemed like they disappeared, but a quick check online shows them available. Ummm, maybe not. Could just be old pages from various shops that didn’t get deleted, but maybe you can still get them.

They are awesome - classy and functional at the same time. I have half a dozen of them. Thumbs up, way up, as Ebert used to say.

Official SP sponsor commercial page post (alway wanted to do this in a kosher manner) but suspiciously without a “buy” button:

https://flyfishusa.com/mangrove-shooting-head-wallet

My recollection was trying to get more of these several years back and not being able to find them.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
happy with the size and durability of the rios, me.
I think I may own three.

but perhaps that's because no one here has made any monogrammed leather ones...

cheers,
shawn

·
Registered
79 Posts
The OPST one looks nice.

Could always make your own with mesh binder pouches and a soft cover binder.

Reactions: Hardyreels

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
My favorite to date are those made by OPST. The mesh material allows me to put tips away wet without worrying about my mildew nemesis.
Yeah, those are pretty sweet - virtually a perfect design IMHO! :hihi:

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just bought the OPST model, took a look and I think my pal will be happy with that.

Thanks everyone, I knew you guys would know all the best types.

Ard

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bit late to the party, but I really like the OPST wallet as well. The accordion design makes it much easier to get the tips in and out when every compartment is full, imho.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never would have known about them had I not posted here :)

I fish using Scandi and Mid Spey lines there fore I didn't even know what OPST was. I've seen it mentioned in posts on forums, even heard people say they used OPST Commando's but to a creature of habit like myself none of that made sense.

Now I just have to hope that my friend doesn't go off and buy something on his own, it's in the mail.

Thanks again everyone,

Ard

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
Those look very nice and super well though out - and if my one true love made me one of these I would cherish it forever. They are officially the Simms nippers of the head wallet world. But it seems like you have got to draw the line somewhere at the cost of upgrading your nail clipper and/or ziplock bag functionality. At least things like this can shock some of us back to our senses. :chuckle:

Still, I really shouldn’t talk. I own a sewing machine I use to do stuff like this, and once spent over 30 hours turning an ancient hoe handle I found into a custom engraved wading staff....before accidentally leaving it by a river a few months later.

·
newcomer to spey casting
415 Posts
I just got a Jacob's wallet from Finn. Perfect for a few well chosen flies and a tip or two, it's very well made, I look forward to putting years of wear on it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
FWIW, I'm using a wallet from Bass pro shops (heresy!) thats made for storing plastics like worm and trailers.

10 bucks and the binder holes fit the airflo skagit head bags perfectly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts