Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for the nicest flowing connection thru the guides coupled with the meanest/toughest loops=looped WF `spey' line belly tapers,target=CHINOOK,if we actually get any fall fish :confused: ,but, one must ATTEMP to plan ahead :rolleyes: ;i want your version of a looped connection that will hold up with big fish,i'll be tying heavy mono to the loop=?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Brian is the man with the answer for sure...

However, I have had excellent results with 50# braided mono, double-check style, with 1/4" loops (thanks John Quigley!) installed with a single nail knot which I then coat with Aqua Flex.

In Trey Combs' Bluewater Flyfishing he recommends the above method with one additional step. He puts a hook in a fly vise from the eye end, slips the loop over the shank and pulls down on the fly line until the loop is straight. At this point he recommends taking a toothpick and coating the loop with a thin even coat of Aquaseal worked deep into the braided mono (I'd use Aqua Flex) and lets it dry. Claims to have landed five saltwater species over 100 lbs and never experienced a failure with the loop. He states however, that over time they will break. So, it may pay to check your loops every season and be proactive on replacing them to avoid failure.

Chris

P.S. If anyone would like John's contact info please PM me. He makes great loops for a reasonable price and will make the loop size to your specs. Prompt delivery as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts