Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I think I have most of this figured out I start playing around with these nextcast lines. I recently purchased the winter authority 45 for my 8134 Burkie. Thanks to Botsari I put some Rio replacement 15 foot tips And I’m able to cast it fairly efficiently. What’s my question? Looking at the different lines offered by nextcast Gets confusing. With Rio and airflo You pretty much know that you’re buying either a Scandinavian or Skagit line. Do I need another cup of coffee or is there others as confused? What would the definition be of the winter authority line? Scandinavian? Skagit? Other? Thank you for your patience in advance

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,658 Posts
They list their Coastal lines as skagit. "Most" of their other products are longer and more scandi/short/mid belly. I know you do have to watch their posted weights, with/without tips.

Dan

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,256 Posts
Just a matter of weight and ratios, Eckman.
I have a 6/7 FF45 that's a longish scandi head for one of my 15' rods, a shortbelly with more classic loading on a 13' rod, and a midbelly on one of my switches. It's like a shapeshifter, feeling light and blazing fast as a scandi, slower and slightly heavier as a shorthead, etc.

This versatility continues through the range; I have one FF70 that is as light and fast as a scandi head on one of my 16'ers. Great fun. Shooting needles.

So, what do you want it to be?

Reactions: Slint and SSPey

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,658 Posts
I have never casted the WA's but like SpeySpaz I have FF70 that I cast on a 13' 7/8. Cast with extreme ease and leaves the water like it was in a hurry.

Dan

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Don't let the fact that they are heads to confuse: The head lengths are listed and so they fall into one of three categories: Shooting heads under 45 feet , short belies (to 60" ) Mid bellies (to 70') and Long bellies 70 feet+

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like to think of the WA lines as a skagit that comes in scandi lengths. It has the turnover power of a skagit to do tip work because of its big ass, but is the length usually associated with scandi lines. Win-win if you want to run tips but not strip inline all day. I know they will do dry line work but for that I prefer a mid belly line to get a cleaner turn over.

Its a really great tool to have in the box and if I had to fish one line year round it would probably be a WA45.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts