1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the good word on this line?

Thanks,

Gary

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
the good word is that they're excellent! I've been mostly using the 8/9 line on a 15' 8/9 Loomis, carrying 60-65' outside the rod tip (a bit more with the floating tip). Most 8/9 lines are designed to turn over 7/8 tips. This 8/9 line turns over 9/10 tips with power, at distance. It is pretty obvious that this line was designed from the ground-up to cast sinktips.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
that seems kinda long. i got the impression these lines were relatively short as in a prior thread someone was asking about rio skagit heads and jack cook told the guy to buy a nextcast winter authority. im confused. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
The specs on Jack's site lists the 8/9 wt as a 56' head, a bit long for skagit casting. I have the full length version, and to my casting stroke this is no skagit line, though it does have very strong turnover and shoots well. The main belly on my line ends also around 56', but there's a long rear taper that can be hung outside the rod tip to varying degrees, as with CND and Carron lines. I'm guessing that the long rear taper on the full length version may allow more overhang than is possible with the head only version. Just a guess.

Either way, this line gives me another reason to retire a favorite custom splice line that I've been fishing for years. Its pretty cool to fish 9/10 tips on an 8/9 line and get such good turnover. My custom line did it, but not as well as this Nextcast, which is more supple in the hand and shoots better. Turnover isn't as extreme as the yellow rope, but its a pretty big step up from dryline designs that have a sinktip loop added for "versatility"

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Yep

The cast sweetly. They are nice and limp like the great British lines so they casr lovely and have tremendous turn over energy. At 50+ are they long? Remember the 50+ includes the tip. Lets see 27 + 5 + 15 m= 47, I guess maybe 5 feet longer than most Skagits. I have found them to do all sorts of casts and fishing well. For dry line work they are great as they have a very fine front end. If fishing with a sink tip I cut mine back another 6-10 feet and put another loop. This allows me to use a hunk of intermediate in front of the sink tip. FOr a floater I put all three pieces back on and it still casts like a factory line.

I have some to test drive so drop by or email [email protected] and I can send one out.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My thoughts on the nextcast WA shortheads are pretty much in line with Steves. I have been pretty impressed with there ability to turn over tips and still cast like a dream as a floating line. I like the option of a back taper that gives me the freedom to strip out a few more yards of line and still feel a sufficient load at the rod tip. For those that like the feel of a shooting head you have the option to go with just the head and use your running line of choice which I might add really flies like a mother......!!! if you need a little extra distance on some of the wide open pools.

I don't think of these as skagit type heads, they are more of a short to medium type head desighned foremost to cast tips in there designated line wt with authority.

For the skagit head guys who need to fish tight to the bank and up under the tree's I heard rumor there is a nextcast line in the works for that purpose in the future.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Skagit Length --

Rio Skagit Head = 27'
My tips are all the same length with various lengths of T-14 paired with floating line to = 12'
Total = 39'

Regardless of how you couch it, 56-39 = 17' diff.

The Nextcast lines sound like a great addtion to the Windcutter length shortbelly group but they would appear to not be a Skagit line.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
had it out again today, and only want to confirm from actual use that the Winter Authority 8/9 wt (full length version) advertised as a 56' head will cast, shoot line and turn over sinktips at distance with 63' hanging outside the rod tip. I think Brian's description of "short-to-medium" head is most accurate depending on the caster's preference for having belly in the guides.

One difference of these lines, which seems pretty characteristic of Nextcast lines overall, is it carries slightly more grains than other lines. They're hidden in the taper like a Carron. With a little overhang, it loads just right and doesn't feel heavier than other lines, but the extra mass seems to help get distance more easily.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Whats the listed head weight? With the long rear taper it sounds like its a bit variable.

·
Registered
149 Posts
WinterAuthority

Steve: that is very well descript about Nextcast lines.

With the design in mind, the lines can be handled in various length outside of rod tip and not overloading the rod. So, the sweet spot is flexible depending on caster's preference and varies fishing conditions. And also it is suitable to our spey learning curve. For the beginner, 50' out of rod tip would be a good length to fish. Once they have more experience with spey casting, the longer and longer line is desired. ;)

·
MBK
179 Posts
Nextcast Winter Authority

I have had the 8/9 and 10/11 at my sunday clinics for about a month.Up to twenty people try them a day with nothing but positive coments.I think they are very well thought out short to mid length lines that throw heavy flies and or tips with the authoriy they are named after.MBK

·
Banned
161 Posts
Which Line Weight for Meiser 15' 7/8 Highlander?

Curious if anyone has loaded one of the Winter Authority lines on the Meiser 15' 7/8 Highlander. I would guess that the grain window is similar to the Loomis 15' 8/9 that SSpey is throwing, but the 8/9 seems very light. I would think the 9/10 would be the call and beat the road would even throw the 10/11!

Thoughts from anyone?

jgs

·
Banned
161 Posts
The 8/9 makes a little more sense then. I assume the 15' 7/8 would still throw the 9/10?

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
The 8/9 makes a little more sense then. I assume the 15' 7/8 would still throw the 9/10?

And here I was thinking those weights seemed a bit heavy, and considering underlining. I guess I am assuming there is a color change or something they are gauged at??? 700 [email protected] seems more like a 9/10 North American line (at the very least).

How long is that rear taper?

Is this a mean measurement?

From what I gather PNW standards vs GL standards run a tad lighter considering the waters we fish and depths needed, and everything in Europe runs lighter than that (PNW).

I have yet to try one, they just sound a bit heavy, when I compare those densities listed to mid head lines I have experience with (Rio, Hardy, SA).

Regardless,

Gary has cast them and says they are very good sh!t, so I take his word for the truth, as he has vast knowledge of things like spey lines, beer, and....... uuummm.... things.....:Eyecrazy:

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A heard the good word
And the good word is these lines cast very well.
We tried the 7/8 and 8/9 with a 15' 7/8/9 Highlander.
Both worked, but I prefered the 7/8.
Hey Poppy, order up for one WA 7/8.
Thanks to Simon for sending these out to try.

Gary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts