Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When fishing for winter steelhead, I like to have two rods rigged- one an intermediate skagit line + tungsten tip for deeper flows and the other a floating head and light tip for tailouts, seams near the bank etc...

I have been looking at the Nextcast WA45 and thought what a great line to add to the arsenal. I can add tips to adjust to changing water conditions, and with the floating tip have a true 4-season line. I also really like the added length over a skagit head which will mean less stripping of line every cast.

But when I looked at the line, I realized the 510 gr version is 42'. So the "head" will be 30' w/ the tip 12'.

This is the same length as my 510gr Airflo Rage head, also 30'. Using 10' and 14' polyleaders or tungsten tips I have a very similar profile/versatility to the WA45.

So my question is to Nextcast Winter Authority users out there. How does the line compare to the Rage if you've cast both? Are there other advantages to the WA line in taper, castability etc... ?

Obviously I could just drop $100 and figger it out myself, but looking for advice from the experts :)

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

Tom

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am not a expert caster but that being said I own both lines. In my opinion the next lines are the goods. It is the nicest line I have ever cast. I have been using the line for 6 months and I feel no need to use the rage line again.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,059 Posts
$.02

The rage is a Skagit with a floating tip. It will handle sinking polyleaders and lighter heads. NextCast is a short/mid belly line with the floating tip and a semi-skagit with a sink tip. I can throw a bit more weight in the sink tip with the NC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts