Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone out there has weights on the floating 15 tip section of a WA55 7/8 and 8/9.

Guessing they run close to 85 grains but would like to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I think you might be low. I weighed the floating tip on a WA 35 360gn and it weighs 70gn at 10 ft. Unfortunately, I just sold my WA 70 7/8 or I could have weighed the tip for you. The only other WA line I have has a 12' tip, which doesn't really help you.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sinktip.

My WA55 8/9 floating tip weighs 92 grains/6g

Cheers.
J.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Chief.

I dont know about your scales, but I would imagine that speaking for mine at least, with my scales which weigh in gram increments with a capacity of 5000g that there would be a variance of some sort, at least .25-.5g's
I would be inclined to pin the difference in weights to 2 different scales +\- than on a product issue.

Just a thought.
J

·
Registered
447 Posts
I just weighed and measured my 55 8/9 WA and 70 8/9 WA tips on my digital scale in grains this is what I came up with
The 55 8/9 tip measures 12'5" and weighs 76.1 grains
The 70 8/9 is new out of the box it measures 15'4" and weighs 77.9 grains
Hope this helps
Tyler

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
My two:

WA70 8/9: 82 gr. This is a recently purchased head.
WA55 8/9: 90 gr. Measured out at about 13'4". This one I've had longer.

Maybe there are multiple batches of lines about. I don't believe three different measurements are going to be that different, 13gr, but also consistent in the differences, withing a couple gr, if it is measurement error.

Oh, from some old measurements I have the WA55 7/8 tip at 84gr. I might have two of these lines, maybe I'll compare/verify later tonight if I can find them both.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for your time and trouble. This is interesting data.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I just weighed and measured my 55 8/9 WA and 70 8/9 WA tips on my digital scale in grains this is what I came up with
The 55 8/9 tip measures 12'5" and weighs 76.1 grains
The 70 8/9 is new out of the box it measures 15'4" and weighs 77.9 grains
Hope this helps
Tyler
The Nextcast site shows the WA 55 with a 15'0" tip but it seems that yours has a +/- 12' tip. :confused:

I just measured a WA 45 7/8....11'9" tip weighing 84 gn.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
If one is cutting FF 55 which has the same taper as WA, it is not a bad idea make distance from loop-to-loop connection to tip 3 feet longer. For floating version it won't matter , but for tips the new set-up will have a stronger turnover and allows to cast a bit heavier ( by 15-20 gr) tips.

·
Registered
532 Posts
WATip

Talked to Simon real quick like..."WA has at least three versions out there, weight would depend on the year you purchased the line...this will be the end of the variations because the new stuff is in the works"...so this would explain the discrepancies

1 - 16 of 16 Posts