Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a 13'6" 8/9 Deer Creek and I'm jazzed to get it on the water. I'm hoping to line it up with a SteelheadFinder s2 head but am struggling to decide what grain wt. to go with.

From other posts I've found on this forum it seems like the designers of the rod recommend Skagit heads between 600-675 but the SteelheadFinder isn't an average Skagit head. It seems like some people prefer to go down a wt. class with these heads, especially with the multiple density versions. I plan on mostly fishing it with 15' of s6, which is about 128 grains if I can remember correctly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a 13'6" 8/9 Deer Creek and I'm jazzed to get it on the water. I'm hoping to line it up with a SteelheadFinder s2 head but am struggling to decide what grain wt. to go with.

From other posts I've found on this forum it seems like the designers of the rod recommend Skagit heads between 600-675 but the SteelheadFinder isn't an average Skagit head. It seems like some people prefer to go down a wt. class with these heads, especially with the multiple density versions. I plan on mostly fishing it with 15' of s6, which is about 128 grains if I can remember correctly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
I have the Deer Creek 8/9 15’ rod, so not really an apples to apples comparison at all!! But I really love the rod! A poor mans Meiser I suppose, and an incredibly durable blank as well.

On the longer Scandi style heads I don’t like anything under 570gr to be honest. 600gr seemed really nice for me. But once again, I have a 15’ rod so may not be the best comparison.

In regards to Skagits I’ve casted from 570gr to 630gr and it could do them all no problem......like you said could even push the envelope to 660gr, but I liked the 630gr Airflo on it a lot.

If I was looking for a nextcast I probably would look at something in the 570is to 600. Yes you could probably do lighter, but I have a feeling it would be magic on that rod.

Good luck and let me know what you find out

·
loco alto!
3,024 Posts
Try the same grains you’d select in a skagit head for all around use with a deep load, or drop some grains if you intend to cast touch and go exclusively with a lighter load.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't have that rod specifically...but I'd recommend an average grain weight of 630 grains plus or minus 20. You could also try a Zone F1 in 600-625 grains as well which would fit that rod length a touch better then the StlhdFnder.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice guys, that was really helpful. I've never cast a rod with a Meiser'esque action before. Can't wait to take it for a spin.

Think I'm going to track down a 600 grain and chop it down as needed 😁

·
Registered
158 Posts
I used a NextCast SteelheadFinder f2 at 575 gr. on my Meiser 136MKX 8/9 for a couple weeks on the Skeena and Kispiox last season. It was a perfect weight for adding T10-14 depending on the different depths of the shallow Skeena waters and the deeper water of the Kispiox.

Nice line which allows narrow loops and distance as needed.

Hope this helps....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts