Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Anyone have any experience with the Nextcast Steelheadfinder and a 7134-4 Burkie? Looking at the FF or F2. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
408 Posts
The 7134 is one of my go-to rods and I've fished both FF and F1 Steelhead Finders on it, both older versions of this line. The line specs have changed I believe, but I found the old 6/7 in both FF and F1, which I think was around 27.5' and 515 grains worked pretty good for my stroke. I'd typically put a 12' OPST 96 grain or 132 grain tip. I started with a Steelhead Finder that was 540 and felt it was a bit heavy. Hope that helps.

·
loco alto!
2,993 Posts
I have noticed over the years here that Gavin GWJ prefers Nextcast lines a bit lighter than me. I like 550-575 for a deeper load.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I use to have this rod and would use the the 6/7 steelhead finder on it. Don’t forget the grain weight of the tip as well. Another 50 plus grains depending. The rod is definitely a Lighter 7wt in my opinion.

·
Registered
571 Posts
For what it's worth, I sent an inquiry to Burkheimer about which Nextcast Zone would be best on this rod. Randy Stetzer told me he thought the 525 would be best, and that the 550 was just a bit too heavy. As with any rod, individual preferences would seem to differ.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thank you gentleman, much appreciated. Solid info and a great place to start. Happy fall!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts