Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
Meiser, Beulah, and OPST two handers; Scott & Orvis single handers. Danielsson and Orvis Reels
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me decode the Nextcast code on sink tips? On their website, the tips are labeled by length ST10, 12, 15; but the weight designations are INT, S2-S10. The INT is obvious, but how does S2, etc. compare to T numbers or poly leaders.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The number is the length...ST 10 is a 10 footer.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, Beulah, and OPST two handers; Scott & Orvis single handers. Danielsson and Orvis Reels
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not the length, the weight is what I'm concerned about

The ST 10, 12, and 15 are lengths, I knew that. What I don't know is what the S2, S4, S6, S8, and S10 correspond to in terms T values. Is S4 in an ST10 tip equivalent to 10' of T-4? Or, do the S# relate to sink rates of polyleaders?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm pretty sure the S2,4,6,8, etc is equivalent to a RIO or Airflo Type 2,4,6,8 and so on. I'd imagine the sink rates to be measured in ips and correspond to that number (ie S8 = 8 ips). At least that is how I understand it. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Each length comes in different sink rates: INT through S-12. But there isn't enough info given in the NC site to compare with t-materials. Correct me if wrong, but the number in t-materias corresponds to grains per foot and not to a sink-rate. 10 feet of t-10 weighs approx 100 grains with a sink rate something like 7-9 ips.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last couple of posts are the crux of the problem

The Int, S2-S10 designations represent whatever they are to NextCast. All I'm asking is for members who have the NC tips to weigh them and post the length and weight for the rest of us.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
10' tips are used on Salar Finder 45 and they are 80 gr. On mine SF 45 ( belly Floater-S2) I used Rio 10' tips type 3 and 6( braided core) wt.8 which are all 85 gr.

Rio considers Type 3 tip which sinks 3-4"/sec ; type 6 ( 6-7 "/sec).

All measurements are done in still water of course.

On Guideline sinking heads, like triple density: S2 ( 2.8" sec) S3 (3.8" sec), S4 ( 4.8" sec) etc.

·
Dom
3,315 Posts
Yea but S12... is that really possible? I too wonder how much their tips weight in 10', 12', and 15' lenghts.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
The Int, S2-S10 designations represent whatever they are to NextCast. All I'm asking is for members who have the NC tips to weigh them and post the length and weight for the rest of us.
Well if it helps any - here is a 15'er from a WA55 7/8 at 5 grams (~77grains):
Green Technology Electronics Electronic device Wire

The 15'ers should weight the same in each of the densities for a balanced set of tips. Same with each length...
All things being equal - ST15 S2-S10 should weight in at 77grains.

Or, Maybe the S-10 is heavier still - without too much trouble for a Nextcast line - especially with the higher weigh classes normally associated with those types of depths...

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
Hello.. Does this help?? If the tips are matched, length and weight are the same. You must measure diameter to have SOME kind of clue about DENSITY, = S2, S4 aso.. Yours borano20

·
Dom
3,315 Posts
I wish Nextast would be more detailed about their products in terms of grains and sink rates. 12ips doesn't sound right to me but what do I know...

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason for my question

I have an Salar Finder line that comes w/o a tip to weigh. I have lots of T material and various sink rates of 10 and 14' polyleaders. I'd just like to know what the S10 tips weigh. I understand they may all weigh the same, but I don't know what any of them weigh.

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
I have an Salar Finder line that comes w/o a tip to weigh. I have lots of T material and various sink rates of 10 and 14' polyleaders. I'd just like to know what the S10 tips weigh. I understand they may all weigh the same, but I don't know what any of them weigh.
Hello.. That explains the question.. Yours borano20

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
As it was said above 80 gr. Since front few feet of SF weights 10 gr/foot, as long as your tip weighs no more then 100 gr you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I have contacted NextCast

And, I received an answer that provided some insight, but didn't completely satisfy. I'm just looking for the weights of the 10' sink tips of the SF40 series.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.