Spey Pages banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks, Botsari. Yes, it's true, sometimes casting space can be an issue with shad fishing. I had to put away the Evolution line I was messing around with and go back to skagit just for the space issue. But there are plenty of times when space is not an issue. That's why I carry multiple setups to adapt to the circumstances. Definitely going to try that full intermediate.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,250 Posts
You are now officially way ahead of the curve, Lacheng. You're getting some good advice from some very good casters and I can see it's soaking in. I like the way you think and soak it up.
Be sure and let us know how your lining experiences work out. I have a saying, "want a new rod? buy a new line."
But I still often buy the new rod, heh heh.
Enjoy your adventure. With all the guys I've helped transition from Skagits to Real lines, few have taken their thought process back to basics like you have, at least not right away.
Grab yourself a 6/7 550gr WA55, a Type III and a Type VI, tip, and go hammer some fish!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am very grateful to this community for all the generous feedback opening my eyes to the expansive world of line possibilities. I loved the comment, " want a new rod, get a new line", and of course the corollary, " get the new rod anyway". I can see each of the new lines suggested presents a completely new casting and fishing experience. Fishing, like Life, is one big adventure, and I am so excited for what the next day, and the next line will bring.

I also appreciate the wise counsel to work with what I have, like adding tips to my Rages, to get extra mileage from them. Beyond a doubt, my skills and knowledge have not caught up to the equipment I already have, and more stuff wont make me a better fisher. That observation was spot on, as if the commenter could see my room with boxes and boxes of lines that have never been opened. Yes, there is a bit of obsessive compulsiveness in me - and that's a vast understatement. But, to my credit, and I am very proud of myself for this, I sold a rod, reel, line setup yesterday that I really loved, just dont use anymore. It's so much easier to hoard than to let go of stuff, but its time to change that.

As to line decisions, like Pavlov's dogs, I jumped to the bait of a couple full intermediate skagits, for a 6 and 7, one including 4 tips, just because the deals were too good to refuse. That reaction traces back to Botsari's comment about I-lines. I fully accept buying skagits completely deviated from my purpose, but yet, full intermediate skagit is itself a new experience for me. I guess it was a reactionary strike.

There have been many great line suggestions in this thread I know I will move on. But one of the members has kindly offered to let my experiment with a couple lines. That was too good an opportunity to pass up. I will play with those lines to develop a better sense of the possibilities.
I will advise further as I progress down this path.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Forgive the unorthodox usage, but I also throw skagits in the surf and bay for stripers. Desperation just to get out with the spey rod. Do not have the good fortune to live near proper river.
You may not be as unorthodox as you think. I too throw my own skagit setup in the CA surf for stripers and perch, and there are others. I think it's a small but growing niche in the two-hand market. Not to hijack the thread, but I found it impossible to find an inexpensive sinking skagit head, so I went with an intermediate. It has a 3 IPS running line behind it and a tip made of T8. Just trying to keep the entire line beneath the breaking waves that always lush it back at me.

Enjoy your journey!

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
You may not be as unorthodox as you think. I too throw my own skagit setup in the CA surf for stripers and perch, and there are others. I think it's a small but growing niche in the two-hand market. Not to hijack the thread, but I found it impossible to find an inexpensive sinking skagit head, so I went with an intermediate. It has a 3 IPS running line behind it and a tip made of T8. Just trying to keep the entire line beneath the breaking waves that always lush it back at me.

Enjoy your journey!
If you if you match the right gr/ft you can sometimes make a skagit head OUT OF sink tip (or old school cheap shooting head) material. Another option ... Steve Godshall made me a full intermediate skagit head to my specs, and with mono shooting line works great in the surf keeping everything under the surface. Of course sinking outbounds etc.can be cast like skagit heads as well, but you said cheap!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Indeed, there are several fishing spey rods in the surf. I used a spey rod in the surf with T8 or T11 before I even learned how to spey cast. But fishing with our local Surf Jedi, I learned to use the skagit with tip. When hydraulics are strong, I take a 30' length of T8/11/14/17, double it over, and leave a 10' section undoubled. This serves as a skagit with a built in tip that cuts right through the waves. But it wont swing as well as a floating Skagit.
Picking up the tip from Botsari, I have an intermediate skagit kit with 4 tips coming on Monday. I cant wait to try that out in the suds.
Coming back to this thread, I anticipate getting a NC Steelhead Finder or maybe a WA45 or 55 to try in the suds. Maybe that salt will remind the steelhead of their ocean home.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts