Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was perusing the Nexcast website the other day and it looks like they have not only changed up the website, but the specs on several lines have changed. I mainly was looking at the FF45, Steelhead Finders and Zones. One thing that jumped out was the line recommendations / grains seemed to change, with grains going down for a given line recommendation. For example, Steelhead Finder 6/7 used to be 515 grains if not mistaken, now 450? Just curious if others have noticed this and what was the reason for the change?

On a separate note, I hit the water for the first time in a long time recently and cast a couple new-to-me rods with older version Nextcast lines. While the casting session was brief (had the six month old pup with me), the 575 Zone at 28' with 12' T10 Flo tip cast well on a 8134 Burkheimer. The 515 grain FF Steelhead Finder 6/7 (actually 508) with 12' T8 OPST tip was pretty sweet and easy on 7132 CND. Look forward to spending more time on the water fishing these combos this winter.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. Nextcast has always been somewhat confusing--seems the new website makes it more understandable to a degree, but some of the recommended weights have changed for sure.

The other thing I can't figure out is that the same weights are recommended for the Coastal lines without tip, and with the integrated tip on the Coastal Singles. How can a suggested weight without a tip be the same as the identical line with a tip? Am I misreading the data somehow?

·
loco alto!
2,992 Posts
The other thing I can't figure out is that the same weights are recommended for the Coastal lines without tip, and with the integrated tip on the Coastal Singles. How can a suggested weight without a tip be the same as the identical line with a tip? Am I misreading the data somehow?
Good catch! The website was changed just last week and there is a mistake in the Coastal FH2 and F24. It’ll be updated soon to make the recommended FH2 and F24 lines heavier, reflecting the integrated tip. Thank you.

The overall lighter recommendations for some lines isn’t due to a change in the lines, instead just trying to stay in tune with user preferences. Yet they remain generic recommendations, starting points, because rod weight ratings (and caster preferences) are highly variable. I still prefer to get mine heavy and trim to perfection, then weld a new rear loop. Anglers can also cross-reference to the information-rich Rio chart, and to rod maker recommendations.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Good catch! The website was changed just last week and there is a mistake in the Coastal FH2 and F24. It’ll be updated soon to make the recommended FH2 and F24 lines heavier, reflecting the integrated tip. Thank you.

The overall lighter recommendations for some lines isn’t due to a change in the lines, instead just trying to stay in tune with user preferences. Yet they remain generic recommendations, starting points, because rod weight ratings (and caster preferences) are highly variable. I still prefer to get mine heavy and trim to perfection, then weld a new rear loop. Anglers can also cross-reference to the information-rich Rio chart, and to rod maker recommendations.
I notice that they never have changed their Coastal chart. Makes it frustrating since they don't answer email inquiries either. I just don't understand why a company would publish an address to get information and then ignore the inquiries?

I still order their lines if I know what I want, because I really like their lines, but if you aren't sure, they don't make it easy.

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
801 Posts
Their new FF70 offerings are interesting and says the tapers have changed. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has played with this new generation of FF70's. Have liked this line from the beginning.

·
loco alto!
2,992 Posts
Calls are better than emails ... and I suggested to Nextcast in January that they revise the chart, when this isssue came up. Oh well ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts