Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Drags are for Sissys
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Been thinking about purchasing a longer Nextcast line, the Winter Authority 7/8 (fits the length requirements and can cast tips, Airflo are you listening?) but have a few questions.

Since there is no back taper what does the WA cast like, when say 10 feet of it is in the guides?

Will the line work properly with Airflo Delta tips? If yes what weight Airflo tips can be used with the WA 7/8?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Nextcast

...Been thinking about purchasing a longer Nextcast line, the Winter Authority 7/8 (fits the length requirements and can cast tips, Airflo are you listening?) but have a few questions.

Since there is no back taper what does the WA cast like, when say 10 feet of it is in the guides?

Will the line work properly with Airflo Delta tips? If yes what weight Airflo tips can be used with the WA 7/8?
The nextcast products kick ass, if you feel like you need 10' in the guides to make a cast you may want to think about dropping down in length. I assume you were talking something like the 70 head, with no back taper the thing picks up and lays out as if it were a skagit head, but far from a skagit as far as taper goes. I've been throwing Airflo 8/9 multi's on a WA 55' 8/9 and haven't thought twice about changing my set up, not because one tip is superior to the other simply because it was the only tips I had at the time and it works so why not. If you jump on the Nextcast site you'll find recommended tips for the model you are looking at.

·
Drags are for Sissys
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... if you feel like you need 10' in the guides to make a cast you may want to think about dropping down in length. I assume you were talking something like the 70 head,
yes the 70 foot head, except its not really a 70 foot head when its a 7/8 ...more like 64'

need a line that is versatile enough to be fished short as well as long, that's why I'm wondering how it casts with 10 feet inside the guides.

unfortunately the nextcast site does not mention the grain weight of the tips unless I am missing something

·
Registered
538 Posts
Nc

Yeah your right about the tip weight,
"...My personal beliefs are that if you can keep max tension in the cast you can turnover big heavy flies and moderate tips with longer front taper lines...If you roll to the surface heavy long tips you should be able to make the cast no problem if your technique is up to it because once on the surface they are just an addition to the line and proper tension will take over "-Bruce Kruk
Not sure how it will cast with 10' in guides, I would think you could get it to lay out. I have a FF 70' in 8/9 for summer work and a WA 55' 8/9 for winter work. If you end up diggin the NC heads you are sure to purchase more than one

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,497 Posts
I'm far from an expert but did pick up the WA55 this past fall and have been fishing it quite a bit. It casts ok with line in the guides. Sorta clunky as a lot of tapers are when shortened up but very castable. I struggled a bit the first time or two out until I settled into a 2-3' overhang then it started driving tacks. In talking to one of the NC team, he uses the overhang on all the NC heads regardless of length.

·
Drags are for Sissys
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...thx

I'd love it if the NC had a back taper or if some other company would sell a ~55' to ~65' line with a back taper and came precut for tips. Interesting that these requirements are difficult to fulfill.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,987 Posts
Yeah your right about the tip weight,
"...My personal beliefs are that if you can keep max tension in the cast you can turnover big heavy flies and moderate tips with longer front taper lines...If you roll to the surface heavy long tips you should be able to make the cast no problem if your technique is up to it because once on the surface they are just an addition to the line and proper tension will take over "-Bruce Kruk
Not sure how it will cast with 10' in guides, I would think you could get it to lay out. I have a FF 70' in 8/9 for summer work and a WA 55' 8/9 for winter work. If you end up diggin the NC heads you are sure to purchase more than one

I was actually referring to Gaelforce lines with that comment but the nc lines might be able to as well :saevilw:

·
Administrator
2,471 Posts
...thx

I'd love it if the NC had a back taper or if some other company would sell a ~55' to ~65' line with a back taper and came precut for tips. Interesting that these requirements are difficult to fulfill.
Exactly why I have a bunch of Delta Long's tips versions. One or two for each rod...I'n addition to my FF70's for dry line fishing.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,987 Posts
...thx

Try a Gaelforce 54 or 63 no need to cut back for tips just loop them straight off the tip:cool:

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
NC heads, regardless of the length, have taper of Scandinavian heads and having about 20-30 inches overhang is critical for a good performance.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
yes the 70 foot head, except its not really a 70 foot head when its a 7/8 ...more like 64'

need a line that is versatile enough to be fished short as well as long, that's why I'm wondering how it casts with 10 feet inside the guides.

unfortunately the nextcast site does not mention the grain weight of the tips unless I am missing something
I think hear you there. There is only so much one do with a long line when the D loop is hitting obstructions.
...thx
What you describe reminds me of a GPS and the NC full-lines. The 7/8s have close to 8 feet of back taper. With the color change at the tip-top it's the same as casting heads with a bit of over-hang. Drawn down into the guides when the need occurs keeps plenty of body and weight out of the guides. It's too bad they've gone over to heads with their long-lines. I believe Gaelforce are similar to the GPS lines IRT back tapers and the 7/8 is identical to a FF70-7/8. Maybe step-up to an 8/9 for tips...

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I picked up a 45 and 55 foot WA this year (actually I cajoled my girl into getting them for me for bday and Christmas). At any rate, the problem I've run into, most of the water I fish I don't need a head that long. I fish a RAGE head on my 12'6 67, and with the rod, a couple feet of overhang, the 30' head, a 10' poly and 4 ft of tippet, I'm near 60 ft before shooting. That covers about 60- 70% (or more) of my fishing here in the east. About the same on the Deschutes and a few other western rivers I've fished as was well.

I'm loving the WA lines, but I did find myself last fall on a larger eastern steelhead river casting too far just because I was enjoying the casting. I cut back when I realized it, but found the line not as sweet when partially in the guides, and went back to a scandi.

Each tool has it's place. A lesson I have to learn over and over.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I picked up a 45 and 55 foot WA this year (actually I cajoled my girl into getting them for me for bday and Christmas). At any rate, the problem I've run into, most of the water I fish I don't need a head that long. I fish a RAGE head on my 12'6 67, and with the rod, a couple feet of overhang, the 30' head, a 10' poly and 4 ft of tippet, I'm near 60 ft before shooting. That covers about 60- 70% (or more) of my fishing here in the east. About the same on the Deschutes and a few other western rivers I've fished as was well.

I'm loving the WA lines, but I did find myself last fall on a larger eastern steelhead river casting too far just because I was enjoying the casting. I cut back when I realized it, but found the line not as sweet when partially in the guides, and went back to a scandi.

Each tool has it's place. A lesson I have to learn over and over.
Exactly, and the long back tapers allow the caster to bring it into the guides without drastically affecting the lines casting character.

·
Drags are for Sissys
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly, and the long back tapers allow the caster to bring it into the guides without drastically affecting the lines casting character.
Yup - that's what the requirement is (and the ability to loop on a tip in place of the first 12-15ft of line).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts