Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re-posting this thread after receiving a PM from a member this morning wondering where it went. I thought maybe I had posted a "Ford vs. Chevy" type of thread and pulled it thinking it might be an irrelevant topic to most...but here it is again.

I've just begun casting the Nextcast FF70's on a couple of rods (Sage 8150 & 9150iiie). I'm using a 7/8 on the 8150 and a 9/10 on the 9150. For me...simply amazing what they've done for my ability to cast a long line. My question revolves around the Nextcast FF70's as I typically fish longer rods with a dry line. For tips I would grab a delta or delta long multi tip and probably an 8136 or 9140 for the rod.

Finally the question...

I have acquired a few of the GPS's in recent months as I was in the right place at the right time and bought them. Paid handsomely, but these are the "famed CND GPS" after all. At least that was my thinking as there is always a feeding frenzy over them when they show up. I've not lined a reel / rod with one as of yet and it's going to be a while til I get the chance. Knowing that the Nextcast is a head and not looped for tips like the GPS, are there situations / circumstances / technique advantages to the GPS versus the Nextcast? I guess in a nutshell...am I missing some sort of benefit that the GPS has to offer over the FF70? All insight greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I've only casted a FF70 once before (actually this past weekend). I've fished CND GPS lines exclusively for the past 2 seasons.

I'm going to state the obvious but the GPS has the integrated running line. Definitely nicer to handle, especially when cold out, and it gives you the best line control when mending. This is important for control swings whether it be the dry fly or trying to slow down your tip/fly in the cold winter. Downside is that it doesn't shoot as well. I've often thought about chopping a GPS to gain 10-20' in distance. Can't get myself to do it just yet...especially when I'm not laying out my casts consistently at long distances.

Taper wise I'll let the experts chime in.

Can I please put myself in the queue in the event you wish to sell you GPS lines?

Tight lines.

·
Administrator
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[QUOTE Can I please put myself in the queue in the event you wish to sell you GPS lines?[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the post...and your closing statement is exactly what I am referring to. Makes me wonder what I am missing out on. I will make it a point to touch base with you if I do decide to sell the lines, although that's not where my head is at currently. I'm also with you on the chopping of the line. If I can shoot another 10' to 15' of running line with the FF70...for me...that's a damn fine cast and will cover pretty much all of my needs for fishing water.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I tried the WA70 this weekend. The first long line I have fished and I loved it. Threw tips decently and was rather forgiving considering it was my first time with the longline. I have to work on the number of false casts I am making but this will be my "go to" line for fishing from now on.

·
Registered
532 Posts
nextcast vs GPS

About the time I was finally able to consistently lay my anchor where I needed to the GPS was fading out of the market. Was the GPS the 1st long multi tip line, was it the base tapper for the next generation of Long lines? Was it the Nextcast of its generation, was the taper involved in casting competition and breaking ground similar to the Nextcast, or was it the simple fact that CND was one of the 1st to match their own line with there own rods? Which many of the rods are sweets casting sticks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Good afternoon Whiteman. I was using a Rio type 6, 15 foot. My fly was smaller then I would normally fish with my Rage setup. Only about 2 - 2.5 inch instead of a bigger intruder. I even, very briefly, tangled with a fish. I was so surprised after countless hours without even a pluck, that I swore loudly and when the fish charged me, it spit the hook. I think you would love that line down on your waters. I thoroughly enjoyed not stripping so much. Once I get the false casts down, I will be in the money fishing that system.

Brayden

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
To clarify it was the 8wt size. Therefore it was 109 grains.

Good afternoon Whiteman. I was using a Rio type 6, 15 foot. My fly was smaller then I would normally fish with my Rage setup. Only about 2 - 2.5 inch instead of a bigger intruder. I even, very briefly, tangled with a fish. I was so surprised after countless hours without even a pluck, that I swore loudly and when the fish charged me, it spit the hook. I think you would love that line down on your waters. I thoroughly enjoyed not stripping so much. Once I get the false casts down, I will be in the money fishing that system.

Brayden

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Nice

Both are nice lines. You may even prefer the GPS with the integrated running line. But, you also might be able to feel the load a tad more with the Nextcast because of the big rear end. The GPS has that long back taper so they are quite different in that aspect. If you hold the color change in your hand I think you will find it very sweet and it shoots pretty dang good if you keep your running line clean etc. Just my opinion but the GPS may feel a little more "elegent" when she flies, and she really flies! All in all its a tossup. I doubt you will be selling your new GPS.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
About the time I was finally able to consistently lay my anchor where I needed to the GPS was fading out of the market. Was the GPS the 1st long multi tip line, was it the base tapper for the next generation of Long lines? Was it the Nextcast of its generation, was the taper involved in casting competition and breaking ground similar to the Nextcast, or was it the simple fact that CND was one of the 1st to match their own line with there own rods? Which many of the rods are sweets casting sticks.
chief - Im sure you are aware that Nobuo Nodera is the brains behind CND rods and GPS line design. You may be familiar with his casting style also that the similarities in CND rods (Solstice especially) and the Sage brownies are obvious.

The GranSpey was prior to the GPS. The GPS is looped with one 20' tip - the GS was either a full-floater or a multi-tip and came with a set of four tips. Floating - Type VI

Nextcast was already in the comp/long-line game with the Champ85 and the FF70 was their short-line for while before the 55s and WAs. The heads and intermediates are only their most current offerings.

Dana posted an interview with Nobuo, on the design and the intent behind the GPS at the speypages homepage, if you haven't already.

Re-posting this thread after receiving a PM from a member this morning wondering where it went. I thought maybe I had posted a "Ford vs. Chevy" type of thread and pulled it thinking it might be an irrelevant topic to most...but here it is again.

I've just begun casting the Nextcast FF70's on a couple of rods (Sage 8150 & 9150iiie). I'm using a 7/8 on the 8150 and a 9/10 on the 9150. For me...simply amazing what they've done for my ability to cast a long line. My question revolves around the Nextcast FF70's as I typically fish longer rods with a dry line. For tips I would grab a delta or delta long multi tip and probably an 8136 or 9140 for the rod.

Finally the question...

I have acquired a few of the GPS's in recent months as I was in the right place at the right time and bought them. Paid handsomely, but these are the "famed CND GPS" after all. At least that was my thinking as there is always a feeding frenzy over them when they show up. I've not lined a reel / rod with one as of yet and it's going to be a while til I get the chance. Knowing that the Nextcast is a head and not looped for tips like the GPS, are there situations / circumstances / technique advantages to the GPS versus the Nextcast? I guess in a nutshell...am I missing some sort of benefit that the GPS has to offer over the FF70? All insight greatly appreciated...
C

The NCFF7/8 is heavier by one weight class, essentially an 8/9 compared to other similar tapers. I have an early FF70 7/8 for a Winston DBF 7/8. It's a full-line and also heavier, longer by the back taper compared to the current heads. I have cast it with the 8150, and at 670 grains it puts quite the load on the rod. Strictly as a dry-line though, on the surface or wet fly swing - the rod can stand to go lighter. For example the DL 7/8 tips-version (510 grains with tips to 80 grains,) GPS 7/8 and IG 65 7/8. Each have a body-weight approx 600 grains and make the rod feel much livelier that the FF 7/8. The GPS and IG have similar back tapers 7-9 feet and cast much different with the entire body out of the guides on the 8150, compared to lines with short back tapers and/or heads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts