Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased the FF45 475
For my Burkheimer 6128-4. Heading to Deschutes in a few weeks.

question: for skating and traditional hair wing patterns do I simply toss on a 10’ floating poly or do I need something more specific?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
No polys here either.
I much prefer a homemade mono step down leader that is equal length of the rod I am using at a 50-30-20 ratio (butt-step-tippet).
I will go to a long thin mono leader for reduced flies in low or clear water if I want them to sink further down the column. Quite often I will go to an 18-20ft leader depending on clarity and depth of the run.

Mike

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,675 Posts
I am with the above. Usually just use a tapered leader ~12' and extend as needed. Or tie up one as Mike suggested. No need to use poly leaders especially for dry lining. Choose flies for different presentations and maybe make use of floatants if needed. Polys only if you want to get deep.

Dan

·
loco alto!
2,992 Posts
The real issue to consider on the Deschutes is wind. I typically fish a 12-13’ mono leader. The FF45 can cut through wind and turn over a mono leader with line speed, but the leader and fly will then often get blown upstream after turnover, before landing. Bad wind. There are at least 4 ways to deal with this:
1) over-cast a little, and let the river straighten your leader (fast current)
2) pullback mend to straighten the leader
3) drop to a 10’ mono leader
4) use a poly

·
Registered
461 Posts
The Nextcast Fall Favourite (FF) series taper back loads the weight and has a long, fine forward part. No extra weight is required up front. A long leader will contribute to all the anchor stick that is required.

Whether the leader is tapered or not is optional IMO. Mine are relatively simple: two different diameters for the leader and then a smaller diameter for the tippet.

Be careful not to overpower the cast unless perhaps presenting dead-drifted dry flies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts