Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to try out one of these lines on my Sage TCX 8119-4.
The Nextcast site recommends 475 grain for rods 10’-12’ and 550 grains for rods that are 12’-14’.
My TCX likes a 540 Airflo Skagit Switch and a 510 FIST.

LOOKING FOR SOME INPUT

THANKS

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted to try out one of these lines on my Sage TCX 8119-4.
The Nextcast site recommends 475 grain for rods 10’-12’ and 550 grains for rods that are 12’-14’.
My TCX likes a 540 Airflo Skagit Switch and a 510 FIST.

LOOKING FOR SOME INPUT

THANKS
great Lines. Try checking the line weight recommendations from your rod manufacturer or look at line charts from Rio etc. That will tell you what weight line to use, I.e. the grain window And line recommendations. For example, I have a rod with a grain window from 500-620 with recommendations for Skagit at 570 and scandi at 540 grains. Then pick the NC line you want in that weight. you may prefer something a little heavier or a little lighter. cheers

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think the Nextcast chart on the Coastals is wrong. It recommends, for instance, a 575 for an 8wt. in BOTH the integrated tip line, and the non-integrated line to which you add a tip. How can that be right? The F24 has an integrated tip, just like a base skagit to which you have added a tip. So the weight recommendation can't be the same for each--makes no sense. I questioned this in a previous post, and a person familiar with Nextcast said the charts were wrong--and were to be corrected. Never happened. On all the other integrated tip Nextcast lines, like the SalarFinder, the integrated tip and non-integrated tip lines have different recommended weights, as they should be.

So I guess what I'm saying is this--with the integrated tip F24 line, I think you need to go heavier than you would for a basic skagit to which you add a tip, to get the same load.

If my logic here is wrong--please help me understand it better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts