Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend in the Seattle area has invited me up for some winter steelheading this coming weekend, 2-5 of April. We'd been talking the Skagit/Sauk, as the drive time is a little easier from his suburban paradise. However, his sources are saying the Olympic rivers are fishing better. Anyone care to comment on what's happening at either area? any one care to "crystal ball" the likely fishing conditions (water level/color/etc) and presence of fish for the coming weekend? coming up from central/eastern oregon, never fished either area, and my friend isn't very familiar with the opp's either... Apparently we couldn't secure a guide, which was plan A, for at least one day, so we maybe bushwackin' it for a weekend and hope to get lucky... Any help/info would be GREATLY appreciated!!
feiger

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you checked this site out yet.?Forks fishing Have been out there a couple times this winter and found the reports to be very good. There are some monsters out there this year. I hooked into two that still have my hands trembling. Good luck!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
There are more fish in some of the OP rivers than the Skagit/Sauk. The Skagit/Sauk is forcast to only exceed excapement needs by 50 fish. In other words, the run is forecast at 6050 fish.

The OP rivers are also smaller in size than the Skagit, which is the second largest river in WA State, only the Columbia is bigger, a lot bigger. Access to the Skagit/Sauk or the OP rivers is about equal and you really don't need a guide for either area if you know how to read water and know where steelhead are likely to be resting.

The Skagit/Sauk are around 1.5 to 2 hours north of Seattle, depends on how fast your drive and how much traffic is in the metro area. And Forks, the OP centrally located town for fishing, is 4 hours or more from Seattle depending on on ferries (if you miss a boat loading, it is a 35 minute wait for the next one) and traffic on the 2-lane OP roads.

That said, I fish the Skagit/Sauk a lot for winter runs because it is my home winter run river. There have been some fish caught, I lost one the other day and missed one today. However, it appears that the bulk of the run has not entered the river yet probably due to the cold water temps (the snow level was 2500 ft Firday).

As far as a guide for the Skagit/Sauk, why not send a a Private Message to our own Riveraddict and see if he has an opening during those days. Mike Kinney is another local fly fishing guide who works the Skagit/Sauk, and there is also John Farar out of Seattle for them too.

For an OP guide, try Dave Stienbaugh at Rivers West fly shop in Port Angeles. If Dave is booked, he will tell you how to contact some other guides to see if they have an opening. Bob Ball is another good guide out Forks under the name of Piscatorial Pursuits.

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flytyer!!!

thanks for the info, man. much appreciated. we discussed last night, looked at WDFW's creel counts, looks like the olympic rivers are a good bet, and that's where we're headed. think we're going to bushwack it, see how things go. my water reading abilities are improving, wasting less time on the water. will be fun regardless! thanks for the contacts, may get in touch and see what's available...
feiger

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what?!!?

you don't have that canary yellow H-2 yet??? :chuckle: :chuckle: :smokin:
will see ya friday!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts