Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to make it to the clave in Oregon coming up. But, will be a big event. Was curious where there are local instructors or clinics being held? I was just getting hang of learning, but needed help when my injury flared up. Once I'm healed, want to get back into swing of things and actually be taught. Much easier to learn on my end being critiqued then watching a video or reading a book.

So, anyone out there have some good leads close to Tacoma? I will hopefully go to the event in Oregon, but without my speyrod reluctantly. Still can't swing it. Or, would have to be doped up on percocet to do it. Which, defeats purpose.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Spey Instructor Central

living in the Seattle area gives you lots of excellent options. The following (in alpha order) will all be able to help you:

Mike Kinney (at mikekinney.com--free plug)
Aaron Reimer (speyshop.com)
Dennis Worley (at Kaufmann's in Bellevue)
Way Yin (speybubba on this board)

All are excellent casters and--more importantly--excellent instructors.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
SH69 - Near-term you might consider dropping in up at Steelhead Park on the Skagit on April 26th for Marlow Bumpus' annual spey gathering. It's a gathering of many of the top notch PNW spey casters and your chances are good to get some expert tutelage.

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Once I'm healed up I'll look into either one of those guys or heading to that clave next year. I'm hoping to be well enough to maybe swing the rod in may, but that's not a definite. I have to go for another epideral steroid shot in my back april 24th. So, I will be out of action for at least a week after that (hurts like all get out). But, we'll see. I'm hoping to get ok soon. Say it this way, hurts simply pulling the fly line on my one hander doing a double haul. Let alone using a spey (a reverse spey won't happen).

Just hoping to have this fixed soon so I can seriously fish again.

·
Registered
239 Posts
thanks for the kind word, dana!

around Tacoma, you might want to get in touch with Charles St. Pierre. Charles lives in Gig Harbor, and is quite involved with Sage; he and/or George Cook seem to be teaching nearly every other weekend.

This coming weekend (4/26), he is putting on a half day clinic with Steve Choate for his local fly fishing club.

PM me if you would like his email address...

·
Registered
239 Posts
oops forgot to add

if you want to see a good minimally invasive spine guy in the Tacoma area, Dr. Joe Jasper would be my pick, in Bellevue, Dr. Ray Baker is among the state's best.

wy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts