Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. Newbie here.
I have just started to use 2-handers (two seasons ago). I started with the shooting heads, like many other beginners here in Skandinavia. Think I didn’t see anyone using Long belly spey lines last summer.
Mainly my casting is underhand + remixes by accidents.
Now I’d like to learn some spey casting with a long line too. At least to try that.

Sooo-oo... I have a light 12’ # 7 medium action rod which I thought would be good rod to start with. It’s a bit like Loop Yellow, but more quicker recovery, I think.
The problem is, that since I have used only shooting heads, I don’t know how to choose the right spey line for that stick.
No demo lines available for testing. The floating head I’m using is 35’ long and weights 20 grams (309 grains). I understand (a little) that longer spey lines should be a bit heavier than shooting heads. But how to use that SH weight information when choosing for example right Rio Midspey line?
Midspey 6/7 sounds like the right AFTM size, but the head weight is 31.7 grams (490 grains) and that frightens me. The other line I have in my mind is Windcutter 6/7/8 29.5 grams (455 grains). Frightens me 2,2 grams less, but not enought.
Windcutter 5/6 21,4 grams (330 grains), sounds too light maybe?
I think Rio’s AFTM ratings are totally different than my rod’s manufacturer’s. So I would not trust those ratings, in this case.

I’m happy if you members could give me any hints and advices here to picking up the right line.

Matti

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Welcome Matti,

I suggest that you Private Message Simon Gawesworth - Speybro here on the Forum - and give him the specifics of your rod. He will be able to give you the best advice.

As for line style, I think you should probably be looking at a "mid-spey" design. The WindCutter is not much different from your Shooting Heads. The mid-spey design will allow you to enter into the world of longer casting strokes required with longer belly lines, yet it is not too radical a change for starting, then maybe later you can look at some real longer belly stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Kush and Peter.

Midspey 6/7 might be the line I'm looking for. And that 70% thing is a very helpfull info. Is there same kind of "rule" for Windcutter allso? Does the WC 6/7/8 with 455 grain head load the rod with it's full grains, like shorter shooting heads with the similar weight?

Matti

1 - 3 of 3 Posts