Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first week of November usually marks the end of my summer run steelheading. Out of all the trips I go on during the year, this final week is the outing I look forward to the most. There are so many reasons why. I have set up camp in the same spot for over 20 years and very little has changed. My son Trevor started coming on the trip when he turned 15; he is 30 now and has never missed the trip. The group of guys I fish with are all hard-core steelheaders and a joy to be around. The food always tastes better for some reason and the wall tent with the wood burning stove keeps us toasty at night. The beauty of the river rivals any spot on earth, as does the wildlife. This year before we strung a rod we had seen a big bull moose, full curl big horn, white tail and mule deer, bald eagles, hawks, and river otters. The leaves on the trees were still in brilliant color and the weather was perfect for steelheading. I guess the fishing has a little to do with it as well. Historically this week produces the best fishing of the year for me, which might have a little something to do with why I like it so much. This year everyone caught fish, including a first-timer. The steelhead are very willing and can be caught on size 6 to 3/0 flies. I enjoy fishing the bigger, more on the classic side, flies such as the black and orange married wing I posted before leaving on the trip. I also carry a hand full of shanks and tubes for when the water temps drop into the low 40’s, which they do every year. I started tying this style a few years back for those times when I know I might lose a fly or two to the bottom. I wanted a fly I could tie fast, was constructed out of materials that weren’t all that expensive, and would catch fish. My first attempts were far too bulky and would not get to the proper depth. As I started to minimize the materials, I lost the profile I liked. I started spin dubbing different material and found the perfect combination. The three dubbing loops I was using to create the prop and wing added time to the fly, but they still came together pretty fast. Things all changed after a conversation with my steelheading buddy Tim Woodard of Idaho Falls. We were talking about flies for the trip, when he mentioned he had seen a video of a tyer building a dubbing loop and loading it with multiple materials. It made perfect sense, so I gave it a go. Stacking the materials one after the other in the loop ended up working best for me. I am really happy with the results and so were the fish. My first fish of the trip came to the blue and black color combination tied on an HMH tube. The orange and black combo produced the most takes, but then I fished it the most. Casting this fly was a joy, and picking it up out of the water was not a problem. I can say now that I am done playing around with this pattern, no more tweaking needed. Have fun with this one and thanks for looking.

Orange and Black Newlander

Hook: Mustad 36809 1/0 straighten into a shank – trailer hook Daiichi 2557
Body: Medium silver oval tinsel
Hackle: Dyed orange saddle hackle
Wing: Orange seal, Senyo’s Fusion Dub Flame, dyed orange fox (Heritage)
Collar: Black schlappen and dyed orange Guinea

Start by securing the shank in the vise, I am using the HMH Spinner Vise. Start the tying thread and secure in the hackle by the tip. I have stripped one side of the hackle to eliminate excess bulk. Secure in a length of oval tinsel. Run the tying thread forward to the return.

Wrap the tinsel forward butting each turn tightly against the last. The hackle is then palmered forward.

Build a dubbing loop with the tying thread. Load the dubbing loop with a pinch of seal, followed by a pinch of Fusion dub, followed by a clump of fox. Give the whole thing a spin. I used Velcro to relieve the trapped fibers.

Wrapped the dubbing loop as a collar.

Secure in a black schlappen and hackle as a collar. Follow the black schlappen with a dyed orange guinea feather. You only need a few turns of each.

Build up the head and whip fishing. The hook is connected by running the tippet through the eye of the shank, then through a small section of tubing. The trailer hook is tied on using a clinch knot. Pull the knot up to the small section of tubing, the push the tubing onto the shank. The tubing pins the tippet to the shank, holding the hook in place. There is no limit to the color combos you can put together. Good tying and better fishing.

Blue and Black Newlander

Green and Black Newlander

This one is tied on a HMH Small Poly tube. I am pretty much sold on this tube. I really like the diameter and the colors. The tube outperformed the shank, which made me happy because I did not add any weight to compensate for the plastic tube. I am not a cone or dumbbell fan. The HMH Small Polly tube worked perfect as the connecter on the shank fly.

·
Administrator
18,154 Posts
Awesome read Marty :)
I dig the shanks and much like you , bring them out once and a while when the water temps drop .
Classic profile , lots of movement and great colours too !!
Such a simple design , but it has everything the steelhead want :smokin::smokin:

Really nice post my friend !!

Mike

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Great looking shanks! Those will defiantly bring some steel to hand! I know what I will be tying this weekend. Thanks for the SBS Marty.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Every Time You Post

More inspiration

Thanks Marty

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sweet write up Marty! I just want to say thanks again to you and Trevor for your hospitality and genorosity. It was a blast and wish it wouldn't had pasted by so quickly. As always awesome step by step and I'm definitely going to tie up some for next year. Thanks again and Both Derek and I are looking forward to next year!

Thanks Jeff

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Nice fly Marty!

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet write up Marty! I just want to say thanks again to you and Trevor for your hospitality and genorosity. It was a blast and wish it wouldn't had pasted by so quickly. As always awesome step by step and I'm definitely going to tie up some for next year. Thanks again and Both Derek and I are looking forward to next year!

Thanks Jeff
Next year? You should be tying these for our winter trip on the coast. I will be tying up some in red, pink, and purple combos.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Very nice flies Marty,
the blue and black almost looks like the rib is mono,to me it looks like very clear wrapping
you did an excellent job,
But....
one would expect no less
:D
kevin

·
Registered
169 Posts
Next year? You should be tying these for our winter trip on the coast. I will be tying up some in red, pink, and purple combos.[/QUOTE]

Well in that case, I better get to it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts