Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of a trip to Newfoundland this summer to fish for Atlantic Salmon. I would appreciate any information. As a life long steelhead fisherman, I would like to fish for a fish that originated the use of the long rod. Jerry

·
Registered
227 Posts
Long Time Ago...

I used to ffish the Atlantics some 25+ years ago and again on the Miramichi about 5 years ago, after a 15 year lull. Nfld. and Labrador are very good places for Atlantics (they used to be?)
More recently, Quebec has had some really good returns in many of the Atlantic rivers and you may want to check that out as well. The last issue (Winter 2001) of the Atlantic Salmon Journal provided some update on the Atlantic fishery and you might want to read up on it before you go.
You can reach Sue Scott, who write the update at [email protected]
and ask for more details and references or list of reputable guides and outfitters.
Or contact the ASF at
www.asf.ca

·
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher
23 Posts
...I'm working at the Springfield (MA) Outdoor show and there are usually lodges from NF, Lab, etc...The show is in 2 weeks...I'd be happy to put your name on a few lists or grab some source info for you...As you wish! Just say the word...

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a good overview on Salmon fishing on the "Northern Peninsula" of Newfoundland at www.salmonanglersonline.
Once you get to the site go to "articles" and then to "archives"
I am new to Salmon fishing and have fished this area ( Portland Creek) twice and have had some success.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Penguin & Kieth

Penguin, You can put my e-mail address on a couple of lists. Kieth, I will call Rob to get some more information. I have been looking at the Humber river area and Rob should have some local information. Jerry

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
A couple summers ago I spent two and a half weeks fishing Newfoundland. The vast majority of fish caught were grilse, 4 -7 pounds or so. The best fishing for large fish was found on Harrys River near Stephenville. I can recommend staying at Dhoon Lodge on that river. Great guides, good value and a realistic chance at large fish. Harrys is catch and release only, so it doesn't get hammered by the locals quite as bad as other nearby rivers. Early July is the best time to be there, give or take a week, of course.
Other streams we fished included Flat Bay Brook, Barachois River, Humber River, Robinsons River, Northwest Brook, Southwest Brook, Torrent River and my favorite, Main River.
I brought my Sage 9140-4 and Reddington 13' 6" 7wt DFR. Except for the Humber, a two hander was really overkill. All water could be reached effectively with a 6, 7 or 8wt. single handed rod. I bummed my buddy's old Sage 9' RPLX 7 weight whenever possible.
The most effective fly and presentation was a slender Bomber, natural deer and calf with orange palmered hackle, fished upstream drag-free. Very much fun.
When I return someday, I will locate one of the better guides I had and try a do-it-yourself camping trip near Stephenville. I will fish Harrys and, after the the catch and kill season ends, Flat Bay Brook. Then I will head up to Sops Arm and spend a week in the back country on the upper Main. The Main watershed is one of only two remaining watersheds throughout the entire Island of Newfoundland that has not yet been harvested for pulpwood. The river is truly a gem worth visiting, and saving for our grandchildren.
The Torrent is an elbow to elbow combat catch and kill fishery. All salmon fishing is restricted to floating lines, no weighted flies. I picked up a grilse one morning literally behind the knees of some guy fishing further out in the river. I thought he was going to crap his pants when the fish jumped right next to him. I won't be fishing the Torrent ever again.
Newfies are just a fantastic bunch of people. Go and expect to have fun.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just book trip

I am going back the end of July. Will give a detailed report on the trip when I return. I will be fisnig in the Deer Lake Coner Brook area. Jerry

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from Newfoundland

Greetings from Newfoundland's east coast. E-mail me ([email protected]) for information on fishing Newfoundland. There is a new salmon management plan that contains some surprises, especially about river classifications. Good fishing!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Making plans

Pat, The newfoundland tourist bureau will send out a very good package including maps and much valueable information. I will spend the last week of july fishing in the connor brook area. The next week I will rent a car and tour the island. It seems single handed rods are the most common back there. I will be bringing my spey rods. There is also much information on the net about the country and the fishing. I am an avid Steelheader here in the northwest. After seeing some vedios of the fighting abilities of the atlantic salmon, it would be nice to hook some. Jerry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jerry,
Thanks for the response. I had found the Newf. tourist bureau site and gotten a packet from them. What I am running up against, at this point, is that all the guides advertising with them seem to be with outfitters who are charging rates I can't spell much less aford. I gathered from a Dec. '01 Field & Stream article by Jerome Robinson that guide fees run about $100 Canadian, per day . I can do that for a few days, especially if I find someone to split the day with. I can't afford the sort of prices the outfitters are putting up there. I suspect that when I get there I will be able to find guides at reasonable rates, but I had hoped to make some of the contacts before I go. If all goes as planned I should be back before you leave so I will let you know how it works out. This trip is going to be our 25th anniversary/2nd honeymoon and my wife is all psyched, so we're are going to go and have fun, and if all goes as planned I'm going to get to experience Atlantic Salmon in the bargain.
Anyway best of luck on your trip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jerry,
Bad news,good news. Something came up & I'm not going to get to go this year. I am going to get a few days in Michigan though, so it's not a total loss. Have a day with a guide on the St. Marie for Atlantics. I still want to hear how your trip comes out. Lots of screaming drag, I hope.:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pat, I now have my airline tickets so I am committed. I will also spend a week sight seeing on the island. Jerry

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi There is an Atlantic Salmon soft list run from Memorial University .The list owner David Liverman is on the staff of Memorial and has up to date information on Newfoundland Salmon .
To subscrbe to the list you send a message to the listserv.
[email protected] message is : Subscribe Salar and your name .
When you have been subscrbed you can send messages to : [email protected]
I believe the list embraces about 50 ardent Atlantic Salmon fishermen from Maine,New Brunswick and Newfoundland.They will be able to give you up to date information on virtually any salmon river in the north east.
This list has been running for about 5 years and was started as a result of a salmon clave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts