Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
First of all, excuse my written English. It’s not my native language.
I need advice about fly lines for a Sage 8126-3. My options are Windcutter or Delta Spey
My home waters are short to medium width rivers and there’s a lot of wind around here… always.
I’m not skilled in speycasting (this is my first year), but I do quite well with a single handed fly rod.
Can anyone tell me the differences –if any- between these two lines?
Thanks for the tips.
greenmachine

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy greenmachine

Welcome to the Spey Clave. I don't think of these lines as being that different. Both lines you mention are great and that they will both do the job equally well. For my own fishing if I had the one I wouldn't feel I needed the other. The Deltas are a bit lighter then the same weight designation in a WindCutter. If you are buying a tip line the WC will have a few more options but cost slightly more. The WC also has a different color running line if that is important to you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lines

Hello Greenmechine,
From my view, given that you're fishing on small waters, the Wind Cutter should serve you well. Since the weight is concentrated in the first 53 to 55 feet it's relatively easy to cast. You'll be able to do the short "fishing casts" and still be able to reach 90 to 100 feet when needed. The Rio Multi-Tip line
is as good as any. S A and Airflo also make lines in the same catagory.
Good luck!
Stan

The road to Fly Casting excellance is a never ending journey.

J

·
0 Posts
Just as a side note, greenmachine, your written English is better than 50% or more of the Americans who've graduated from high school knowing only English. As a retired school teacher, it amazes me how people like yourself learn to write so well in a second language when it was so hard to get kids to seriously approach learning their own language that well. Kudos to you.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Buy the Skagit 550 and no cheaters.

Also, buy a 30' section of T14 to cut your own tips. 12' will probably be the longest you will want. 9' seems to be a good length for the Sage 6126 or 7141.

When you get this send me a private message, and I will tell you how to blast a hole into the Chilean wind with the Skagit head and T14 tips basically using what you know now. If I posted this, I would be ripped by the purists. You can be doing this in about 3-5 minutes. When the videos come out re Skagit casting, you can learn how to Skagit cast. In the meantime, you can be fishing, catching fish and enjoy life for about $100 cost in America.

Or you can pay Ed Ward to come down to teach you. If you had the money, that would the best way to learn how to use the Skagit heads. If I had the money, I would pay for Ed to visit me for a few days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts