Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a two handed rod for the next fishing season but my problem is I really don't have any idea of what type of rod would be ideal for me.

My favorite one handed rod is is a Sage Sp 9',6" #8 so you see I prefer a moderate fast action to a fast action (I own a XP but use it as a spare).

When it comes to the 13' and 14' rods I don't know what would be best suited for me. I consider myself as a very good caster with a one hand rod and will probably fish 90% of my time on the river with my SP but I know I will fish certain pools with the two handed rod and I would like that rod to forgive errors beginners sometimes do and the most important thing to me would be to feel the rod.

My dealer in Quebec (25 miles from home) sells TFO, Orvis, Scott, Loomis, Sage etc.. All these companies have "spey" rods, but at the present time, I stopped my interest on the new Sage 8140-4 FLi and the CND Custom 13' 7/8 ( no dealer here in the province of Quebec). My heart goes to the CND (it's Valentine's day) but I know the Sage would be easier to be changed or repaired if broken inadvertently (broke only one rod in the last 35 years and I fish 50 days a year).

I don't want to invest too much first without knowing if I'll love the feeling of a two handed rod but I'm ready to invest the time for apprenticeship.

What would you recommend me ? :confused:

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Rod recommendations always come with a grain of salt, but since I've solicited rod input from this forum, I'll try to send some back.

From what you've written, I'd recommend to try the Burkheimer 13'9" 8 wt and CND Solstice 14'3" 8 wt if you can. Both rods flex along the entire blank, but with enough firmness throughout to retain a medium-fast action like the SP 9'6" #8. Most of the other CND rods, and the Scott ARC series, are also medium-fast except they get there with a softer tip and stiffer butt. This assumes that you are trying to duplicate the SP 896 flex action. I know that rod pretty well. If so, I'd venture to guess that you won't outgrow or outlust either the Burkie or CND Solstice anytime soon.

And you will be addicted, just like the rest of us :smokin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Newbie to DH rods

Steve & Peter, Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

I tried to visit the CF Burkeimer website but they are working on a new site so I'll try again later.

Peter, funny, the only rod I broke in 35 years of flyfishing is a G Loomis IMX (first generation). I have to give credit to the Co. and my retailer, I did not have any problem having the tip section changed. I still own 2 IMX (9' & 9'6" # 8 weight) which were very pleasant rods to cast. The Deveron seems interesting and not overpriced for a DH rod.

I'll read on the Loop Blue 8124 and I'll make up my mind soon. What a nice problem to solve. :roll:

Once again many thanks to both of you!

Alain

·
Registered
926 Posts
Salmo
I can agree with Steve's recommendation as the Burkheimer 1398 is probably my favorite double hander. I noticed that you fish the Bonaventure. I fish it every June and the 1398 is my choice for fishing the Bonnie, the Petite and the upper Grande.
Bill

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Alain,

I'm also a recent convert to the two-handed rods. I've been fishing your waters for 15 years, but this summer will be my first time with the long rod in hand.
I'll be on the Grand in June and the Bonaventure in September hoping the water and fish co-operate.
I use a loop green 12'-4" and I'm told that it has a very fast action. My single rods are Sage SP and Xi2, also very fast actions, so I didn't see a big problem going from those to the loop green. We don't see much of a selection of long rods down here on the east coast, so it's difficult to weigh in on many of these discussions. These Burkeimer rods seem to have a cult following; I tried to get one on ebay before I bought the loop, but it got out of reach very quickly!
Best of luck in your selection and on the river.
Chris

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Lessons

Alain,

I almost forgot!!!

Lessons. At least for me, it was the best investment!

$1200 minimum in your hands for a specialized rod, reel and line, and I was looking at it and thinking I'd made an enormous mistake.

I booked a very reputable certified instructor for a few hours of one-on-one instruction, (we actually fished together the entire day). Every couple of pools, he'd introduce a new cast or technique - it was a great way to reinforce the muscle memory for the new casts.

Good luck.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi Alain,

The Bonaventure is one of my favorites. If your local dealer is a Scott dealer I would recommend the A2 1409 (14' 9wt). This is a very light and fast rod that combined with a short spey line matches up really nice for Gaspe' rivers. The rod is $455 US so it wont break the bank. Last year I just fished the A2 1308 on my trip to the Gaspe' and loved it but it is very quick and maybe not as beginner friendly. The A2's offer a lot of bang for the buck.

Greg

·
Registered
445 Posts
salmo52.....IMHO a fast two hander doesn't feel like a fast single hander. As you will see though, that two hander will have a tremendous amount of power, even if flexes more than your single hander. I agree with Peter, the Loop Blue series casts very well, and won't be a huge investment in the unknown. Good Luck, you are about to have a lot of fun!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you guys for your answers !

I'll continue to read your posts on rods and techniques to develop my knowledge on the subject.

But first, I'll sit in front of the TV and try to assimilate the techniques explained in different videos my wife bought ( 2 with Mike Maxwell, 1 with Mel Krieger and 1 with different casters "Sandy River Speyclave" with Simon Gawesworth, Steve Choate etc...).

As you know, it's winterland here in Quebec, so I'll have to wait the first days of spring before I can practice outside. When I read you guys are fishing practically all year, I hope the planetary warming will reach our province in a near future.

Thanks for your advices.

Alain

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alain
I am also from Québec, Montréal. And also new to spey fishing. I was at the flyfishing symposium in Granby last w-e. and heard talk that there might be a speycasting clinic( lessons) in Mont Tremblant end of may. with speyrods from Sage, Loop and Scott to try. If it happens I will participate because I agree with Chris, it is a good investment and it save time. If you are interested I can give you the infos.
Jean-Jacques

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Twojay,

I have to tell you, my wife is already in the parade, she began spey casting last year and had lessons with a Mike Maxwell certified instructor. So after a Speyrod, 3 flylines and two reels she pushed me towards the two handed rod world.

We were at the Granby Show last week-end and she already gave her name to Francois Blanchet (FFF flycasting instructor) cause there are possibilities for Speycasting clinics in the Sherbrooke and Quebec region in april or may. So we will probably attend one of those.

Like everything in life, I know it's always easier when you start on the right foot.

Alain

1 - 12 of 12 Posts