Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase my first spey rod. I've decided on the Sage euro 9141. And based on recomendations from friends and this site, I think I'm going to get the Rio midspey 9/10 w/ tips. My question is will my Ross BG 7 hold this line plus enough backing? And will this reel balance ok with the 9141? Thanx in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like you and I could make beeeuuutiful music together...a winning combo!!! Just get the BG reel in black -- the gold one is too gaudy.

:eek:

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
If you are going to put a Midspey on that rod, do not put the 9/10!!

I owned that rod for a short period of time and settled on the 8/9/10 WC, if you must fish a Midspey, purchase the 8/9.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
I second NorthFork's advice. The 9-10 is a bit much for the 9141.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
mgb

Sounds like a great combo.

My son has that reel for heavy striper fishing and trips to Mexico.

It will go on his Sage 9 weight Spey rod for the upcoming Shad season.

He has Tibors, Abels and Loops, and he feels that the Ross GC may be the best. It is still fairly new, but he really likes it.

Let us know how that combo works out. I may treat myself with that combo this fall for my 65th birthday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh Ya!

I have the 9140-4 Traditional (green) and usually fish it with a BG-6 and Mid spey 8/9 with 200yds of Orvis' 35lb gel spun backing. It does fill up the spool, but that relates to a slightly faster retrieve ratio= sweet set-up. 60' to 80' casts without stripping. It balances on the upper 1/4 of the upper cork, where I almost always place my hand. Out of curosity, I put my BG-7 I have on my 9150-4 (green)with the same line and backing combo on the 9140 and the balance point is about the same. Now, let me me tweak you a bit. Before you plunk down your money on that 9141... consider the CND Custom 14'-9/10-3 (see the specs and review on this site) lighter weight, more power throughout the blank, beautiful fit and finish and less money $455.00...oohh baby...to die for. I know because my S.O. found out I got one :mad: Any one interested in that 9140-4? :(

ADP <")))><

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
194 Posts
AD Pose---

recently acquired the Sage 9140-4. "new in box", with a great deal from a contact. am curious your thoughts on the rod, and what you liked/didn't like about it. i'm another "newbie" learning the craft, and had recommendations this would be a good one to start with.

also, looking at reels, and specifically the Ross BG-6. The line recommended to me was the windcutter 8/9/10 for the 9140-4 rod. new enough that i am kinda clueless on the size of reel to pick up for this rod. likely getting the tips line, and am curious about the BG-6's capacity for that line and 30 lb dacron. your thoughts?? thanks for any info you can provide the "new guy!"

feiger

·
Registered
52 Posts
Feiger-

In response to your questions, I started out with a St.Croix 14'-9/10 and I thought it was a nice rod, I then acquired a used 9140-3 (old brown III)and lament having sold it, but then it has recently been replaced by one of the earlier ones, a real cannon. I then acquired that green graphite IIIe 9140-4, a sweet casting, forgiving rod and thought it was the cat's meow, faster, more powerful than the old, brown blanks. I could cast with a Windcutter 9/10/11 with up to a 200 grain sink tip with it (green) but more than that I felt I was taxing it. Yes, I agree about the 8/9/10, but I would seriously consider the Midspey 8/9 w/tips or the Airflo Delta long (less stipping in and shooting line) I was getting power hungry. Then I got to try a 9150-4 (bigger meow) faster and more powerful yet and ended up getting one on a good deal. Next I had the good fortune of getting that CND 14' 9/10. It doesn't meow, it roars. So, as you see as you begin your journey into the world of Spey casting, you will find yourself wanting something more, bigger and better. Fall not into the jaws of rapid acquisition and wallet emaciation, Grasshopper. Attend a speyclave and seek the wisdom and experience of the learned, try some lines that suit your casting style with your new rod and save yourself the anxiety.

With regard to the Ross reels, I strongly recommend the BG7, it will have enough capacity and balance better if you're going to use standard 30# backing. You will be pushing it with a BG6, especially with a Midspey line, that's why I went to gel spun backing, it's cheaper than buying another line or reel. A word of caution with gel spun, have it wound on tight. Due to the small diameter, if wound loosely , it has the potential to dig into itself and sieze if you hook into a hog that takes you that far into the spool. Also, I recommend using the Albright knot to secure the fly line to backing.

I hope I have been some help to you.
BTW- I know where you're shopping- good luck

ADP <")))><

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Re: So Ryan......

jimsand said:
......Why did ya get rid of the 9141 and what did you replace it with?
Jims
...because, to be honest, I didn't care for the rod all that much. It didnt seem to have the 'pop' I was looking for in a winter rod and seemed a tad heavy for summer fishing.

Plus, I was just never able to really get that rod to perform for me...but the last time I did cast that rod was a year or so ago and my casting has improved dramatically since then.

What did I replace it with?? Hmmmmmm...I think those funds went towards an Abel Big Game 4.5 Non-ported. :devil: ...the only reel I could find that would balance out my Derek Brown Favorite to my liking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts