Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i'm new to spey casting,I got my first spey rod a couple of weeks ago.
CND Expert 6/7 13' loaded with a W/C 5/6.
First question. On my forward casts I feel like i'm underloading the rod,
i'm getting the line to turn over ok but I can't seem to get line to shoot any distance (maybe five feet beyond the head) any suggestions?

Second question I need a recommendation on tips for the Windcutter 5/6
I will be using the rod at home for bulltrout fast or deepwater area similar to the Southfork of the Clearwater in Idaho.
I've been lurking here for a couple of months.
Now that I have been bitten by the Speybug i'm sure i'll be asking a lot of questions.
Thanks Randy.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome to the Board

RIO is a site sponsor http://www.rioproducts.com/index.asp and has specs for the appropriate tips for all of their lines.

That said, the lighter spey rods can do well with a skagit head type of system to fish deeper water. That sounds like what you are after.

To improve the casting, get some instruction from a qualified instructor. They can see the little things that make a big difference and help you get on track quickly. Also, get to some claves to get help and try out equipment.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
You need to visit MJC's shop and talk to Kush the CND man on this board

You need to visit MJC's shop and talk to Kush the CND man on this board.

Both gentlemen will help you to find the correct line for this rod or how to cut off about 12-15' of the wimpy tip and replace it with sinking tips or a heavier floating tip.

Two years ago, at Simon's clinic on the American River in Sacramento, I tried a WC 5/6 with tips, and it seemed to work. The WC 5/6 floater never worked for my Meiser 5/6 Switch rod and later my Sage 5120. I could never get rod to load properly and then have the rod energy transfer down the full line. My casts just collapsed like a dove getting shot head on with a heavy dead on 12 gauge load at about 40 to 50' out past my rod tip. Bob Pauli and I had the same problem with my Rio OB WF 8 Floater with these two rods. With the OB WF 10 floater even in my old and unskilled hands, the rods woke up did great.

When you visit MJC's shop see if he has a Rio Outbound WF 10 Floater. This line works great with my Meiser 5/6 Rod and my 5120 and it may work with your CND rod.

Ping Kush to your post and questions re your CND Rod. Kush and MJC should be able to help you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Fwiw--

Randy-

I am a bit new to Spey as well, but here are some things to check for--

Size of your D loop on the backcast. I had/have a tendency to pull the trigger a little early. The more line you can get into the D loop, the more loading you can get and the easier the front cast is. As an exercise, see just how much line you can get into the backcast before things go awry.

Shape of the D Loop. If you can really pitch it back there with some vigor (kind of snap the rod at the end of the back cast), you'll get a tighter D loop and it will travel back further and faster. That can help you get a better forward cast.

Slack. This seems to come from everywhere. Two common culprits in my experience:
---Rod Track. The good news is that a longer rod give you more leverage and tip speed, hence a longer cast.:) The bad news is that any errors in rod position are exacerbated by the longer rod length. :mad:
At the risk of being obvious, the rod tracks based on movements by the arms, rotation of the body, and how the TWO hands interact together. There's a lot of new movements, and they have to be right for a really good cast. A few degrees angular divergence from the perfect movement translates into an energy-eating "wiggle" in your rod track and line.
---Inconsistent Acceleration. I am also pretty good at overpowering the first part of the forward cast, especially if I want to cast further. This induces slack not only because the rod tip diverges from the desired straight path, but also screws up the continually increasing acceleration I need to impart max energy to the outbound forward cast.
---Creep. Waiting for the D loop to fully form can be tough. I will pitch the D loop back there, assume the "firing position" and while I wait for the D loop to be fully ready to go, the tip of my rod begins a creep forward. By the time my loop is fully formed and anchored, I've gypped myself out of a few feet of the forward delivery stroke.

In looking at all the stuff I goof up with regularity, it's truly amazing I can get a cast to go beyond my toes....! I'm sure some of the "rock-stars" will jump in with comments on your equipment. I have to say that I cast the worst with the most expensive combo I have. If the outfit doesn't work for you and where you fish, you're toast before you are out of the barn.

All that being said, if you are just starting and can get the whole taper out plus some extra line, you are definitely doing a LOT of things right, so give yourself credit!! You are now a SPEY CASTER, and are really just fine-tuning.

NOW, Speaking of creep (as in thread creep..), I'll be interested to hear how Spey fishing works up there. Perhaps the Kootenai is a good place to go throw larger streamers for a wading angler? I've been to Kalispell before and fished up past Hungry Horse but would like to know if it's worth the drive!

Hope that helps,

Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Worth the drive.

Personally I think the Kootenai is worth the drive,i've seen some of the big Girard strain rainbows in there,even hooked a couple but have yet to land one of the true monsters.I've stopped and seen the state record rainbow which came from the Kootenai (over 32 lbs if I remember right) and I can honestly say i've seen bigger right below the dam.Literally for the size and the fight they're some of the best (in my opinion) within a 6 hour drive of me
and it's kind of like steelheading , you might make a thousand casts before you hook a big one and then hook two in a row.there are also some really nice bulltrout that you occasionally tie into if you're dragging streamers.
I just tied up a few flesh flies that i'm itching to try out there in the next few weeks.
Remember to check the flow levels before you come though,If they go much over 12,000 the wading gets really diminished.But if you decide to head over give me a yell i've got a couple of extra pontoons and always looking for an excuse to fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts