Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I was lurking around this forum for some time and finally got myself registered.

Great web site and a ton of useful information is posted here!

I need some help with single rod spey casting techniques
Can somebody recommend a good DVD?

I know that the best thing will be to hire instructor but due to the lack time I would like to start it by myself.

Thank you in advance

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Three that come to mind are Jeff Putnam has Single-Handed Fly Rod Casting Using Spey Casting Techniques. DVD for $29.95.

FLYCASTING-FAULTS & FIXES-DVD-$29.95
MEL KRIEGER HAS SOME GOOD SINGLE HAND SPEY CASTING FOOTAGE

Rio's Modern Spey Casting has some single handed footage. This is a 3 disk set that covers many spey casting styles. It is $49.95

These 3 can be found @ the Red Shed. http://www.redshedflyshop.com/VIDEOS-BOOKS.html

·
Registered
347 Posts
Spey to Z is excellent.
It transitions overhead casting into single hand spey, then moves to the 2 hander. Way Yin is a tremendous caster and teacher.

Another good one is Sage's the Art of Speycasting. There are a few single handed spey casters.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If I were to buy one DVD it would be Rio's Modern Spey Casting. Simon and others do an excellent job. It is worth every penney.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I were to buy one DVD it would be Rio's Modern Spey Casting. Simon and others do an excellent job. It is worth every penney.
I agree, just make sure you have a couple cups of coffee first. It took me 3 tries to get through the first disc without falling asleep. The Bio kinetics music puts me out fast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dec Hogan has good dvd out as well that I own. Forget the name but not only does he cover most of the casts but he actually catches a couple steelhead as well. I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would also recommend Rio's Moderen Spey casting. Shows everything you need to know as a beginner and more. A good dvd is great, but find a good instructor and take a few lessons. Two handed is a lot different/harder than a single handed rod.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,259 Posts
I agree, just make sure you have a couple cups of coffee first. It took me 3 tries to get through the first disc without falling asleep. The Bio kinetics music puts me out fast.
how about "Perfect Cast"....sometimes I put that on in the late afternoon when I want a guaranteed peaceful nap. great vid though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for all replies

Base on all information that I saw ...Seems to be I need a new rod.

I start thinking about spey casting thanks to the few "lucky":saevilw: spey casters that I saw on the Salmon River last fall.

I was struggling to cast an indie rig (on the 8wt) and have a proper mend without any back space (keep in mind that in my home waters I use 4/5 wt rods) and those guys were just enjoying themselves (proper mends + 30 feet of the line in the water, putting their flies right in the spot).

My current setup that I use is an 8 wt 9' Sage FLI. As far as I understand I need to shop around for 10-11 feet with more flex action (Switch Rod maybe?)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you all for all replies

Base on all information that I saw ...Seems to be I need a new rod.

I start thinking about spey casting thanks to the few "lucky":saevilw: spey casters that I saw on the Salmon River last fall.

I was struggling to cast an indie rig (on the 8wt) and have a proper mend without any back space (keep in mind that in my home waters I use 4/5 wt rods) and those guys were just enjoying themselves (proper mends + 30 feet of the line in the water, putting their flies right in the spot).

My current setup that I use is an 8 wt 9' Sage FLI. As far as I understand I need to shop around for 10-11 feet with more flex action (Switch Rod maybe?)
Keep in mind your not going to get the distance as those with a spey. I tried casting with a single and found it much easier with a longer two handed rod. It seems the longer the rod the more mistakes it covers. I fish the SR and if your interest is spey casting forget the switchrod and get a spey. It might be intimidating at first but u will b glad you didn't wast money on switch. I'm on the SR every wkend with my 13'4" I love this rod.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep in mind your not going to get the distance as those with a spey. I tried casting with a single and found it much easier with a longer two handed rod. It seems the longer the rod the more mistakes it covers. I fish the SR and if your interest is spey casting forget the switchrod and get a spey. It might be intimidating at first but u will b glad you didn't wast money on switch. I'm on the SR every wkend with my 13'4" I love this rod.
I just think it's a little overkill for my fishing preferences (7-9 oz for the rod plus 9 oz for the reel plus the line).

I'm able to go to "big" river 2-3 times per year. Mostly I fish small local streams for the trout (8-12 inches) and lakes for bass (still trying to get a Carp on the fly).

Sometimes I have limited space for the back cast and that is the reason why I'm trying to figure out what do I actually need to get me started with spey technic.

Today I was lucky to test Sage Z-Axis 11' 7wt. I was able to do single hand casting plus some basic spey cast.

Next rod to try will be G Loomis 7wt Switch (does anybody knows how heavy it is?)

I really cary about the weight of the rod

1 - 14 of 14 Posts