Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Gents,

I'm interested in joining the two hander club. I spoke to Bob Mieser earlier this week about building a rod and wanted to get some input. I will be overhead casting 450 - 500 grain lines on the Maine coast for stripers. Looking to spend most of my time on the rocks and beaches targeting fish in the 25"-40" (I wish) range. Most of the large fish I have caught have been in the mid 30's. Currently I am using a Scott STS 10 weight to throw about 350 grains but it's a killer on the arm after a full day. Bob recommended a 8/9 10'6" switch rod. Any one else been using two handers on the salt? Would love to hear what you think.

Regards :)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I would suggest the CND Oceana (formerly Atlantis) rods. These rods were designed specifically for 2 handed overhead applications for stripers. There are two models both are 11' long, the heavier is for an 11 wt line and the lighter is for a 9 wt.

As a west coaster I have only been to striper land (Cape Cod) twice so my experienced is limited. However, these rods have been hugely popular with the East Coast striper crowd and can be found at a number of shops. You can find them and the specs for the rods by checking the CND website www.cndspeyusa.com

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Bob and Kush

are both right. I don't think you will go wrong with either suggestion. The advantage of Bob's opotion is that it is custom, so you get to request components and will love the end product. That said, both will work well.

There are a number of Board members out your way. Contact them to find out how to do it. That will shorten the learning curve.

If you are going to spey cast, get some plrivate instruction.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
We live in a great age with the options we have.

I don't know anything about the CND rod, it should work.

The Meiser Switch Rods are great rods for Stripers. One of Meise's friends uses the 7/8 down here on the California Delta, and he catches all sizes of stripers on a regular basis. I prefer the 9/10 from my boat or my son's boat.

Since the Rio Skagit 450 works great with the 7/8 Meiser rod, and the 650 Skagit works great with the 9/10. Your best bet might be the 550 Skagit.

All of my Meiser Switch Rods with a Skagit line work better with a 12' Rio Sinking Leader versus the standard 15' Rio Sinking tips, probably due to the shorter length of the switch rods. You can make your own floating tips with any 8 to 10 weight standard floating line.

Contact Juro, who lives in your area for lessons. A day of instructions with Juro will be of great value in your new sport.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...

guys. Great info, I really appreciate it. Found a place in NH and believe it or not, a place in Vermont that carries the CND. I'm going to have a look at them. Contacted a forum buddy in Maine that has the BM Switch rod so hopefully I'll be able to have a look at that as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts