Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After lurking for a while and soaking up people's advice, I've finally taken the plunge and bought a spey set up and am trying to get things all figured out.

A question maybe people could help me with:

I'm trying to figure out how & where to cut back an 9/10 Airflo Delta Spey line to use some sinking tips and would like to get an idea of what the rough weight of the Delta Spey tip section is per foot. Obviously since there is a taper in this section it will change as you move back but just want to get an idea of what the first 5-10-15' might weigh so I can figure out what to do. Unfortunately I don't have easy access to a scale. Could somebody point me to where I could find this out? Does Airflo publish these specs somewhere?

Thanks in advance and look forward to participating on this board.

Cheers,

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have the delta 7/8 so it will be a bit different. I have the line with the factory tips. My tips are cut at 13' I think that they advertise 15' so I don't know whats up with that and all of my tips weigh 91 grains.

I would cut your line at 15' and I would guess that they should weigh 140-150 grains.

Buy a cheap scale, it will be a huge help. I think River Run and Red Shed both sell an affordable scale.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Ok - doing some math here: The 9/10 line is 630g vs 530g for the 7/8 so I figure an equivalent 13' section would probably be roughly 630/530 * 91G = 108g. Will look into the scale though...

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
The Airflo tip specs are as follows;

7/8=13'-85grns

8/9=14'-97grns

9/10=15'-105grns

10/11=15'-115grns

I would cut your line @ 15'

Inexpensive grain scales can be purchased from me at the Red Shed Fly Shop and Aaron at River Run Anglers in Carnation, WA. Contact info for both can be found in the sponsors section. Some of the other sponsors may have them as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts