Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been fly fishing for a few years now, tying as well. Just got into the two handed stuff. Bought myself an 11ft switch rod and just grabbed a reel for it. Hoping to use it here in MA and ME as soon as this snow decides to leave. Neat site here, I hope to learn as much as I can while this long winter is upon us.

-Josh

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Welcome to the site you should be able to pick up a lot of information that will be very helpful.

Love to see some of your flies and what you are going after.

KC

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will get some pics up ASAP. I do both fresh and salt water fishing so I have a mix of everything. Also started tying tubes so that just adds to the fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not near any steelhead except for a 6hr drive to the Salmon River. It's addicting as all get out even though I've only spent one day doing it. I enjoy the challenge of learning the art of the different casts and learning about new flies and line and what not.

To answer the question it's a 6Wt 11ft rod, from recommendations I bought a RIO 390 grain Scandi Shooting Head along with .030 power flex shooting line. It should give me a start while I learn/buy more heads hah. I'm hoping that if all goes well ill get a two hander for the ocean for this spring. That is of course if my wife doesn't file for divorce when I walk in with yet another fly rod.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh And it's An Allen Alpha III reel. Never had one before but seemed nice and the price was right for my first two hand set up. Plus I saw it decked out with line at the fly fishing shows this past month so I knew the lines could fit

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Yuck on the drive, I can be on the river in 10 minutes.

Not near any steelhead except for a 6hr drive to the Salmon River. It's addicting as all get out even though I've only spent one day doing it. I enjoy the challenge of learning the art of the different casts and learning about new flies and line and what not.

To answer the question it's a 6Wt 11ft rod, from recommendations I bought a RIO 390 grain Scandi Shooting Head along with .030 power flex shooting line. It should give me a start while I learn/buy more heads hah. I'm hoping that if all goes well ill get a two hander for the ocean for this spring. That is of course if my wife doesn't file for divorce when I walk in with yet another fly rod.
Good call on the rod/line choice.

fae

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phew, good to know. It's becoming more popular here in the north east which is great and I'm finding the fly shop guys are pretty knowledgable with two hand stuff. Not sure what to get for the ocean but one step at a time I figure.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Fishing the 'Salt,' save for right at the river mouth ...

I don't know from (insert four letter word). But right at the mouth of a stream can be YaZerrrr!

fae

1 - 10 of 10 Posts