Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to the northwest and just abandoned my 10' #7 Great Lakes Steelhead rod for a two-hander. I aquired (through this site) and Echo Classic 13'6" 8/9, and a Ross Momentum #6 will be here tomorrow. I did a little research and this seems to be a pretty good starter set-up. I just need a line - and I am totally overwhelmed. I want to get a Skagit type set up, and I will be fishing the Deschutes, Sandy and Hood, so I will need at least 2 sink tips for various depths/currents, and a floater for the summer.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START. Versitip? Windcutter? Custom Tips? I know the previous owner of the rod had a 650 gr Rio Skagit set-up with custom t-14 tips. I don't even know what t-14 is (other than that it is a fast sinking line...) If you all could help me out with a line recomendation that would be wonderful! THANKS! Ross

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
A Rio Skagit VersiTip will give you a skagit spey body (head+running line), a tip wallet, 5' cheater which you may or may not need, and 2 15' sinktips ( a type 6 and a type 8). Add a matched floating skagit tip and you are set to go.

·
Registered
98 Posts
here's what works for me;

I have the same rod and I use an airflo delta 8/9 multi-tip which comes with 4 tips and for winter work I use an airflo NW skagit 8/9 which weighs 530 grains plus tips. I have been using the tips which came with the delta as well as t-8(8 grains/ft), t-11(11 grains/ft) and t-14(14 grains/ft). I have these is 10' and 15' lenghts.
Just what works for me, hope it hepls,
Brian

·
Registered
622 Posts
Where are you fishing? How much room will you have for a back cast? How much line do you want to retrieve?

If you're not going to have a lot of room and want to retrieve line, I'd go with a Skagit or a Scandi (Rio AFS) line. The Skagit has a shorter head, and is better for bigger flies, but can be noisy on the water.

If you're fishing a river and don't want to do too much retrieving I'd consider a
Windcutter or Delta line.

Randy

·
Fishing in the Moment
38 Posts
Learn one style first,

Decide which style you want to learn Traditional, Scandinavian/underhand or Skagit and stick with it till you are comfortable fishing all the different water and times of year.

It sounds like you are leaning towards Skagit which should work great for where you are located. Don't worry about T-14 tips yet and learn to cast the Rio 15ft tips that match the line weight you buy. Poppy at the Red Shed is right on with the Versi tip Skagit. You will probably only need the types 3, 6, and 8 for this summer/fall. Then you can worry about T-14/17 for winter.

Most importantly, attend the Sandy River Spey Clave May 15-17 and watch all the demonstrations by Skagit guys like Mike Kinney, Tom Larimer, George Cook and Scott Howell. Bring your rod and try out all the latest skagit lines that fit it's weight/grain window (folks will help you) and then decide which one to buy.

You will learn more in 2 days at the Clave than in 2 months on a forum.

Have fun!

Kevin

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you're buying just one line for all seasons

buy an airflow, delta multitip. Its a short head line but not a skagit. Pretty versatile but a little more challenging with the tips than the skagit lines. When I started I used a skagit line for my winter needs and then a delta for summer floating line fishing. A skagit line is a good way to feel some positive feedback early because you will be able to make it fly after just a little instruction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts