Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hosting a day trip for a one handed rod friend the first week of December. I took him to the Hatchery ramp region of the Cowlitz last month, nice sea run action.

However, I think I have grown a bit too comfortable with this spot, familiararity and laziness?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a destination within 60-90 minutes from Olympia? We are limited to easy wading or bank fishing.

I have a canoe but no driftboat. :eek:

As I am relatively new to the PNW as well as Spey casting, specific directions are helful...thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on now...

Maybe nobody knows any "local" locations...or too busy planning trips to Russia or Tierra Del Fuego? :chuckle:

I'm not so concerned about finding a "great" place to fish, just a nice place to get the ol' line wet and keep polishing up what speycasts I do know.

Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough for this crowd, but I only get out to explore once a month (at best) I'd appreciate some helpful hints.

I read somewhere maybe the Green river? Something about a park?

Any help would be appreciated...thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Your Timing Is Not the Best

December in Washington State is typically the beginning of hatchery origin Steelhead returns. The Cowlitz is the King of hatchery fish returns. You could do worse than to stay right there. Go to the State fish management web site, ( Department of Fish and Wildlife ), look at their fish planting and other data and you can then make a more informed choice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dec Fishing

Both forks of the Lewis and the Kalama should have fish in by them by Dec. If the water clarity if ok, the South Fork of the Toutle is a nice river to fish in the winter as well. There are only natives, but it can be productive. I got my first winter native two years ago there.
If you want a report on the Cowlitz, try this site:

http://www.northwestflyfisherman.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts