Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard of a supplier that has the newly redesigned XLT lines in stock?

I'm looking for the 6 weight.

Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello King Salmon:

I don't know if the new lines are quite out in public yet. I suppose that they will be released sometime coinciding with the Denver show, but I really dont' ahve any say over that. However, I was somewhat disappointed to find out that SA is not planning to make the 6 weight (the old 6/7 XLT didn't seel as well as the other lines in the range, apparently).

If you or anyone else is interested in the 6 weight (I am biased; I spent quite a bit of time designing and de-bugging it to where I totally dig it - it works great on medium action single hand 8 weights as well as a single hand spey line), you might want to email Bruce Richards at SA...

If SA sees interest in the lighter lines (I think this is where a lot of summer steelie fishing and single hand casting is going to go, it's simply so much daggone fun), maybe they will cater to us...

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
New XLT

Howdy Way,

Thank you for the above post. I've had several requests for the "new XLTs" As rumor has it they are available at some shops.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
been there, done that

spey_bubba said:
Hello King Salmon:

I don't know if the new lines are quite out in public yet. I suppose that they will be released sometime coinciding with the Denver show, but I really dont' have any say over that. However, I was somewhat disappointed to find out that SA is not planning to make the 6 weight (the old 6/7 XLT didn't sell as well as the other lines in the range, apparently).

If you or anyone else is interested in the 6 weight (I am biased; I spent quite a bit of time designing and de-bugging it to where I totally dig it - it works great on medium action single hand 8 weights as well as a single hand spey line), you might want to email Bruce Richards at SA...

If SA sees interest in the lighter lines (I think this is where a lot of summer steelie fishing and single hand casting is going to go, it's simply so much daggone fun), maybe they will cater to us...
Thanks Way,

I was impressed with that 6 wt line that Doug Duncan had on his little Gary Anderson 12'-6' 5wt rod. Had I been able to get the same line, I was seriously entertaining the thought of buying the rod. I tried (unsuccessfully) negotiating with Bruce for a proto type. Was told, however, that they had all been destroyed. Too bad. And sad to hear that there will be no new 6wt XLT line. Especially as you designed it. With a belly length of near 90 feet. I don't feel that is too long. Even for a 6 wt. And for those whould argue the point, I have only two things to say. Learn to cast. Or buy a mid-spey line. :saeek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I first tried the 6 weight XLT prototype at the Golden Gate Spey-O-Rama using Way's LS2 1206 rod. I loved it! So now I've acquired a 1206 of my own. While I've been waiting for the new line to become available I been able to cast it a few times with a borrowed 6 weight XLT prototype line.

Last night we tried the 1206 with a Rio 9 weight steelhead/salmon line that I modified by cutting the head off and reattaching it to the running line by the tip. Now the 24 foot back taper is the tip. I like this taper, it reminded me of the fine taper on the XLTs. This was fun to do but of course its a long way from having the 6 weight XLT.

Now I've got a 6/7 XLT on order and I'm very comfortable with splicing so Way how much of the head would you recommend that I remove to tune it to the 1206?

Thanks

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
With the current popularity of ultralight spey rods I think it is a mistake for SA to not produce the 6 weight XLT. A good number of rod manufacturers are producing 5 and 6 weight spey rods and most of the folks I know who own one of these is trying to find a long belly for it, and also waiting patiently for the new XLT 6 weight lines to come out. I tried the prototype 6 weight XLT that a friend has and I'd buy one in a heartbeat. They would definitely sell.

I think anyone reading this who agrees should contact Mr. Richards and let him know how you feel. Way, could you post an email adress?

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Been there, Done that

Moose said:
Thanks Mike. I encourage anyone who is into the lightweights to let Mr. Richards know of your opinions.
:smokin: :smokin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts