Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting Winstons new BIIX 15' 9/10 but first I wanted to hear any feed back from anyone who has one or used one. Also what lines have worked well with it.
I have the 13'3" 7/8 and I love the rod. Will the 15' have the same action as the 13'3"?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think the 15 is going to be very similar to your 13'3" in action. I have only "wiggled" the 15' but am excited to get mine. Hopefully will arrive soon and I can give you a better description.

Greg

·
Banned
974 Posts
Greg,

I hope that you will post your impressions of 15' after you have had a chance to cast it. We have the 13' 8/9 and have 13'3" 7/8 on order. Have you cast the 14'?

-David

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yes. I have cast all but the 15' a fair amount. I have cast the 14 the most with Skagit lines and 8 wt. XLT2 and everything in-between. I really dig it with all. Great all around, do it all Med-fast, light in the hand rod. My only complaint is that the cork is pretty short for longer belly lines. I would prefer a wider grip with the long lines. The 13' 9 wt. is a fantastic skagit rod.

Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
13' 3" Winston 7/8

racera36,

I'm considering getting the 13' 3" Winston 7/8 for summer steelhead fishing with a 6/7 MidSpey.

Which lines do you use with your rod?

Joe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Joe, you may want to consider a line with more grain weight. I have been using an 8/9 WC and find that it matches the rod quite well. I tried some lighter lines 7/8 WC, 6/7 Mid, 7/8 delta, 6/7 airflow etc and found ,for me, the rod performed better the closer I got to 600gr. When I first cast the rod at the Spey Clave in 05, the Rep had it loaded with a 595gr SA. If you are interested in looking for old posts I posted my evaluation experince last August.

Redbone

·
Registered
155 Posts
Has anyone thrown the 15-foot #10 with a Skagit line? I'm thinking about another rod, in the 'beast' category for up in B.C. Thanks and Merry Christmas to All.......

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Winston 15' 9/10

Now with the colder months here I have switched to the skagit lines and T14
tips. The 650gr,5' int cheater,@12'T14. This has worked well.
On the 7/8 13.3 the 450gr. 8/9 550. I have been pleased with all three.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts